Installing OW4 instead of OA4 card, in the running PLC

muz2024

A new point I/O rack is to be hooked up with the running PLC. In point I/O, it is supposed to be the OA4 card to be installed as per the downloaded configuration in the PLC, but due to unavailability, can we install OW4 card or ARM module without restarting it and downloading the configuration again?

Welcome to the forum!

You can absolutely put an ARM module (or any other module) there and just inhibit the OA4 in the configuration. Inhibiting and uninihibiting can be done online and will prevent the PLC from trying to establish a connection to that module, and it therefore won't matter what it is.

If you actually need the outputs, you could potentially get away with using an OW4 in place of an OA4 if you had electronic keying for that module set to Disable. I've never tried and I wouldn't absolutely promise it would work, but it would be worth a shot. Unfortunately I'm 99.9% certain that changing that setting from the default "compatible module" to "disable" requires a download, so it's no better than just changing it to the OW4 in the first place.