Copy & paste from rslogix 5000 to excel

chrisk_81

Hi All,

I have a huge data array in rslogix 5000 that I would like to move across to excel.

I know DDE is an option but I only have the lite version of rslinx. Is there a way to manually copy & paste the data? or something similar?

How big is "huge" ?
How many elements ?
What Data-Type ?
How many dimensions in the array ?

I'm sure this can be done, but we need the full picture...

With the SLC, Alaric has shown us how to export a library file and access the data in the tables there. I am not sure if a similar mechanism exists for the Logix family.

I recently installed Logix5k on a new PC and went ahead and installed the Tag Import/Export tools. I've not used those before but based on the name, it seems it might be just what you need.

Hi Alaric, when you say 'save it' what exactly am I saving?

Step-by-step....

1. Go online to your controller.

2. Menu "File...Save As"

3. See Pic1 : Change File type to .L5K

4. Click "Save" button - you will be prompted that online tag values may have changed - Click "Yes" to upload tag values before saving project.

5. A new file is created : See Pic2

6. Open the file in a text editor (eg. Wordpad)

7. Find the TAG section of the file : See Pic3

8. Delete EVERYTHING except the tag values, leaving the comma separators. Your arrays will have produced multi-line output for each tag, as shown in Pic3. Carefully make each tag single-line (hint: End,5*Delete).

9. Save and close the file.

10. Rename the file extension from .L5K to .CSV : Pic4

11. Double-click to open the file in Excel. Your values should be nicely laid into 128 cells across, 5 down : Pic5 : Check you have 128 entries for all tags (ends at column DX)

12. If all OK - Done : If not - try again

Pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg

just take care when making them "single-line" that you dont inadvertantly lose a comma etc.....