Are there anyone else that will be using the new IM151-8 CPU ?

I have one site on my desk.
Too busy to try it.
I order one for testing.
I gave it to Siemens Israel for trying it and they like it.
My unit is the only one in Israel for now .
It expensive then 151-7 for about 30euro.
How good I can not tell.But I think its the future of the PLCs.
Decent tag price.420 Euro for CPU include the MMC.280 euro for 20I+20O.
Support remote Profinet I/O.Also can support profibus.
Very powerful.If I remember well it can support 1000 inputs and 1000 outputs.And some other nice options.

It cost very close to S7-200.
ET200s save the need of wiring between the PLC and terminals.
The only problem I have is Step 7....Why they can not do some thing decent like RSLogix.

twu026 said:
You mentioned you were about to set up the IM151-8 in HW-Config, how were you about to do that?
Hi Tony.

To setup a project with an IM151-8F, you need STEP7 v5.4 SP4. SP4 is avaliable as a free download for v5.4. But it is huge though.

In the manager you say "add S7-300 station" (because it belongs to the S7-300 series with regards to CPU functionality).

In the HW catalog in HW Config, you go to the PROFINET IO folder, and continue to IO .. ET200S .. (because in the heads of die Herren from Siemens, an ET200S is always just an IO device). There you can find both IM151-8 and IM151-8F.

Thats it.
twu026 said:
Also, did you use the 'ET 200 Configuration Tool' provided by Siemens? That tool does not have the IM151-8F PN/DP CPU model either.
I dont use the ET200S configuration tool. It doesnt do so much for me that the HW Configurator doesnt. It is just a bit more graphical. One thing, it does check current load on the PM modules, which HW Configurator does not.
The IM151-8 is so new that all other references, and also this tool, is playing catch-up.
twu026 said:
Also, GSD files - are they only required for Profibus? or are they required for Profinet also?
About GSD files, you only need them for hooking up with non-Siemens devices. I havent worked with Profinet, so I am not sure if they are called "GSD" files for Profinet, but I do think so as the two standards are very much in the same family.

It will be one or two months before I can actually lay my eyes on one these things. But I also think that if they are what is claimed, then other PLC brands in the small-medium segment will be under much pressure (!).

Hello Mr hidden.(JesperMP)
You wrote.
" But I also think that if they are what is claimed, then other PLC brands in the small-medium segment will be under much pressure (!)."

I totally agree with you.
I can see it over here when I told AB and Omron reps about 151-8 PLC abilities and tag price,they did not like it.
It compete with SLC&Control logix and Omron CJ, very easy, with impressive tag price and features.
I thing we will see more and more PLCs like this one at soon.

Thanks JesperMP for the timely response. Turns out my Step7 v5.4 only has SP2, which is why I was unable to add the IM151-8F to HW Config.
I have since updated my Step7 to SP4 and have sucessfully added IM151-8F to my HW Config.
So Profinet is now the default network interface for new Siemens PLCs?

It seems that Ethernet is going to be the default network for a lot of PLCs manufacturers.
Siemens introduce line of products base on Profinet(Ethernet).
From high level and expensive.Ethernet become standard and cheap.

twu026 said:
So Profinet is now the default network interface for new Siemens PLCs?
For S7-300, the MPI port is untouchable because it is part of the "backplane". I am sure that when S7-300 came out, it was a stroke of genious to combine backplane and programming port, making for a functionally potent system at a low cost. Today however, the MPI port is a ball on a chain for the S7-300.

For the S7-400, there is a CPU line with ethernet onboard, but only in combination with onboard DP ports. And Siemens has chosen to make these CPUs significantly more expensive than the regular CPUs.
I think that Siemens strategy for S7-400 is for it to be the-top-of-he-line, and also to demand top dollar for it.

I think that it is more likely that there comes a more potent IM151-8 (like a 317) than there comes a low-cost ethernet-only CPU on one of the other two platforms.

I have written a big chuck of the code for the IM151-8F, but still waiting for the hardware to arrive. Is it possible to simulate my code using S7-PLCSIM?

I having only played with S7-PLCSIM briefly, but the software seems to be quite limited compared to simulators from other vendors.

I have used ABB's AC800M Compact Builder software and simulating code is a simple as clicking a drop down menu then clicking 'Test mode'. Once in 'Test mode' your code starts to run on the PC as if it is the PLC.

I would write a block of code or function, then stress test that block of code, iron out any bugs I see while the code is fresh in my mind.

I find it quite painful not being able to test code as I write it. Especially when you are writing functions, you don't want to start using those functions until you are certain they are correct and won't fall over when you apply boundry conditions.

Last edited:
Hi

In Simatic Manager go to option, simulate modules and start it.
The simulator will start.
Then you will have to download your project.
Make sure you have the latest version of the simulator otherwise some function might not work correctly.

Dont want to start a war with which is better, but i'm pretty sure and I did check pricing and capabilities, that the M340 from schneider equals and on alot of places betters the stats you gave me. Will post some stats later

What the jump.?
Modicon belong to the past.
What the they total share in the PLC world today.
This thread is about IM151-8.
If you would read the specification you can see the different between IM151-8 to M340.
Any how I am not sure about the price.

Execution time Bit : 0.12 ms , single-length : 0.25ms , double-length : 0.17ms ; floating points : 1.16ms

No. of instructions per ms
100% Boolean = 8100
65% Boolean and 35% fixed arethmetic = 6400

1024 I/O
256 Analogues
36 counter channels

Internal ram
Total capacitity = 4096 kb
Program constants and symbols = 3584 kb
Data = 256 kb

It has Ethernet Tcp/IP integrated, usb port intergrated, and a choice of modbus(rj45 or character mode), canopen

Uses sd card for memory card

You can use ethernet to program or standard usb to mini usb cable
Not sure about the exchange rate now but I think it is in the region of 700-800 euros

Plus it looks good :)

Ok ok calm down just thought i would compare the two. Good to now what other brands can do and for what price. It makes sense to compare products

Chud, I dont think it is exactly 'proper' to jump in and derail a thread like this.
Better make you own thread, and title it "anyone else going to use the new Schneider M340 ?".

Btw. you did mention comparing pricing, but you didnt state the price when you listed the specs. So do write the price when you start the new thread.Oh, you did write the price.
Well at 700-800 Euros, is is a bit more expensive than the IM151-8 PN which is approx 600 Euro. Apart from that, it is like comparing oranges and apples.

Last edited:
How dare you even utter the word 'Modicon' in this thread!

Prepared to face thy wrath ;).

(Actually, the Schneider van came by our office recently to show off their product range.
The M340 looked like a decent 'micro' level PLC - I look forward to using it in the future ;).)

One thing the M340 doesn't do is safety, which the IM151-8F does do.

Last edited: