ASCII Command ML1100

You might be using RSLogix 500 Micro, which doesn't support the SLC Modular controllers. I'll save the project as a MicroLogix (edit: Thanks Bob !)

The Termination Characters and Append Characters perform different functions.

Termination 1 and Termination 2 are compared to incoming ASCII strings to determine where the end of a Line is. The value of "\ff" in the second field means "ignore".

So the default settings mean "when the buffer sees a Carriage Return in the incoming data stream, it considers that the end of a Line". When you use the ASCII Read Line (ARL) instruction, you get the characters up to the Carriage Return.

Append 1 and Append 2 are the characters that are sent out after the String characters when you use the ASCII Write with Append (AWA) instruction. The default values are \d and \a, which are Carriage Return and Line Feed.

These characters are not sent when you use the ASCII Write (AWT) instruction.

Why does RSLogix 500 use different default Termination and Append characters ? Why are the characters sometimes displayed in lowercase hex, sometimes in uppercase hex, and sometimes as control characters ?

It's a mystery. They're just that way.

User Mode Configuration.png

Last edited:
hi Bob,

Tried the sample you provided, changed the string length 3, keep getting the ASCII R01 I sent out, changed to 82 string lenght, timer keeps on going till it timed out. I was watching ACB, characters ramains at 0.

I've changed the instruction to AWA (just to test) and point to a file(ST17:0 K01 to start ST17:1
K04 to stop) to Start/Stop the device, its worked, the external device was rsponding to it.

Thanks,

That was the sample Ken provided...I just changed the controller.
Thanks goes to Ken..Again

Hi Ken
I try to send and receive ASCII strings through RS485 ,between my Micrologix 1100 and a motor drive MicroMo Mvp2001. 19200bds, no parity , 1 stop bit , 8 bits
I can send a command string without problem with a AWT command
but the answer string i receive is not good , and not always the same one.
I put a hyperteminal on the RS485 red .I use it to send the request string "4 st "CR
but the return string is good on the hyperterminal , but not in the ST12 of my ARD instruction.the first part of ST12 is what i send (4 ST) but the last part is wrong
Any idea?
Thank you

screen.jpg

Attachments

• TEST_SSIDD2.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
You will need to process the data sent from the MicroMo according to its ways. Many devices send additional data along with the data you expect and you have to deal with it.

The (2) ^M 's are carriage returns:
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_return
the carriage return is defined as 13 (or hexadecimal 0D); it may also be seen as control+M or ^M.

The rest could be anything (and I didn't look real close since the jpg is barely readable).

Thank you very much for your answer
i recorded the send and receive charaters with Hyperterm.(capture.txt)
i only can see carriage return and line feed commands, and that what says the MicroMo's documentation

and here is a better jpeg..

Laurent

screen zoom.jpg doc micrormo.jpg

Attachments

• capture.TXT
    19 bytes · Views: 8
You could try viewing the ST file in a different radix (hex) to see if the characters are actually what you are looking for. The String files only show you representations as it interprets them.

yes , i made it too with yuri.
but i don't know if hyperterminal capture everything
here is the hexa transcription

yuri.jpg

Clearly, the string data '4 st 0004 010A' is exactly what the binary data indicates so it is correct. 0D 0A sequence is the CR LF portion of the incoming data stream.

You may have to parse the incoming data stream one character at a time to extract the actual data you're wanting. My RS500 is not working at this time so I can't help much with the exact details.

Many times, a state machine is needed for such processes - once you get the echo of '4 st^M^M' you may need to transition to a state that examines the ascii characters to build up the data string needed.

thank you
but i don't know how to do that
I am looking for an issue since a long long time, and i have to build a few machines whith this dialog configuration...