Async udp connection

AmazingNoob

Hi there,

I have a scenario and wonder how it would work. Or how udp work in general.
I have a plc , and many pcs (100) that multicast to the plc through udp at a 1400 bytes each. my plc rpi is every 50ms.

This is how I think it work, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The plc will listen for a connection to each of these pc within a scan, and if there is a connection, the next scan it will read out the packet from each pc. With each packet is about 1400 bytes, if the plc cannot finish reading the packet within the scan time, does the nic on the plc queue the packet and receive it within next scan? Does the packet get lost, and the pc will have to retransmit it again? Do I need to do some data handling (merging) if the fragment is read in the next scan?

UDP does not involve a 'connection'. It just sends a packet out or receives a packet but there is not really a socket 'connection' between the two endpoints like there is with TCP. The C language functions in a computer kind of make it look like UDP supports connections but it doesn't.

I'm not sure how the 'RPI' Requested Packet Interval term applies to this situation.

There is not anywhere near enough information to be able to answer this one.

Thanks.
Yeah, I was looking for more of a performance chart, but I guess it's difficult to measure as it depends on many factors (os,nic speed etc). So, I guess I'm terms of the rpi, would we typically increase the rpi so that when receiving the packet we do not drop it off?