Current measure, or something ...

sapoleon

Hi again. After some vacations, I'm back to work...

So, here is my question.

I have 3 x tri-phase heaters, that runs for heating the water of 2 tanks, and are being manipulated in PWM from a PID in the PLC. Now, the client want us to check and give a signal, if some of the heaters and phase of the heaters is kaput.
I was thinking in current measurment, but i think it is overdessigned for just a work/don't work signal. so...

Does anyone knows of some device, that can give me a signal for current flowing or no? Better if it is tri-phase.

Thanks again to everyone.

sapoleon said:
I was thinking in current measurment, but i think it is overdessigned for just a work/don't work signal. so....

No, I don't think so...
It depends on your process..I have had experience in the food industry where the hot water is used to keep a 25 ton chocolate tank warm...If a heater fails, it is critical to get the backup heater online as soon as possible.

sapoleon said:
Does anyone knows of some device, that can give me a signal for current flowing or no? Better if it is tri-phase.

It depends on what is available in your local area.. Do a search for AC current switch... You might have to use 3 AC current switches in series to measure each phase current

Allen Bradley, Cutler Hammer, and Siemens all offer phase monitoring relays. They trip if the voltage or current on one phase is out of tolerance with respect to the others. They are usually used for motor protection, but should work for you as well.