Emulating a ControlLogix PLC

namang

Hi,

I am intending to emulate a ControlLogix 5571 PLC (on qemu probably). I am looking for relevant information about the CPU architecture, but it is nowhere to be found. The only leads I have thus far is 1. It a dual core CPU 2. It *might* be a 32 bit Power Architecure

What is the architecture of the CPU in this controller? None of the Allan Bradley literature manuals have any information on this, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

For what possible purpose ?

The processor architecture, the embedded OS, the runtime software... all of it is proprietary to Rockwell Automation. There is zero chance of you getting access to any of it.

Well, I suspected that.
The aim was to be able to test some control logic without having to put it onto the PLC.

So, should I not be having this thought of emulation?

Yes, you can use Emulate 5000 to test run ControlLogix code.

It has limited functionality; you can't run any I/O connections (so you have to remove those module definitions) and it doesn't attempt to emulate the real time OS of the controller so anything that needs time based control like PID or motion control isn't supported by the Emulator. And you can only communicate to it via RSLinx, so it doesn't let you test messaging.

If you're in the position where you can actually write virtualization software for a real time operating system, you're miles ahead of what I know how to do.