Ethernet based remote I/O for data collection

usmcgrover

We need to find some sort of ethernet based digial I/O to collect "greenlight" (operating) time on our machines.

Presently, we are using AB remote I/O but that requires a lot of cabling. They move the machines around here a lot, so the cabling is a real pain to maintain.

What we would like to transition to is an ethernet I/O module mounted on the machine, connected to the plant LAN, that we can access either from a ControlLogix processor or directly from our Intellution SCADA with the appropriate I/O driver. We have thought about AB Flex I/O, and that would work, but we are wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. We only need 1 or 2 I/O points per machine.

Anyone out there doing anything like this? I know I've seen products like this before, but I'm having a hard time locating one now.

Thanks!

Another cheap alternative is the Beckhoff field IO. You can make use of a few IO points in a low cost package. I have used it regularly to control remote devices, and it works great with Controllogix.

Good Luck,

Steve

We use ADAM modules, they have high speed counters, digital I/O and 4-20ma 0-10V units.

They are dirt cheap (well under 200 aussie dollars
Peter

I recall some wireless IO modules that can interface with AB. I can't recall the vendor as of right now, but there are many options that you could integrate.

If you move the machines often, and do not need a lot of IO, these modules seem to be an optimal solution.

usmcgrover said:
We need to find some sort of ethernet based digial I/O to collect "greenlight" (operating) time on our machines. We only need 1 or 2 I/O points per machine.

usmcgrover,

Have you considered the new Banner surecross wireless I/O solutions? If these machines can stand alone except for the 1 or 2 I/O these might be the answer. The links below are for some parking lot applications.
http://www.bannerengineering.com/applications/?detail=app&app_id=1705&div_id=7
http://www.bannerengineering.com/applications/?detail=app&app_id=1700&div_id=7

milldrone, That is a good idea.

Here is an example of this exact thing being done with the Banner SureCross wireless connected to a Red Lion HMI to log and alert. It was so easy to do that the Rep did all of the programming. Of course, my company guys are NOT typical Rep people. We actually know how to work the products we premote.

Machine Run Time

This post above is to solve a problem and not meant to be a selling endorsement, just an idea that might be applicable.

Regards,
Joe_WaZoo