Experiences buying second hand automation equipment?

Martin_1972

Hello all

I have the opportunity to buy some second hand unused components, they are Siemens motor modules, a CPU, inputs and outputs.

I have used the Siemens QR scanner and the items appear perfectly legitimate.

The value new of these items is around $15,000 but they are being offered around $2500 as they are apparently surplus to requirements. Some of the items are up to 9 years old.

My question is, how can I tell how reliable to source is for these components? Is there a way to check their history, as in who the first purchaser was, or how many times they have been sold?

With this being my first time buying second hand components, and the possibility of parting with a large amount of money, I want to cover all bases.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I use to buy A LOT of used and resell them, you need to either test them and sell them as working with a 30/60 day return OR sell them discounted as untested.

The value new of these items is around $15,000 but they are being offered around $2500 as they are apparently surplus to requirements. Some of the items are up to 9 years old.

I would say they are worth $1500, most that are 9 years old are obsolete so be prepared to hold them for years and sell them cheap

My question is, how can I tell how reliable to source is for these components? Is there a way to check their history, as in who the first purchaser was, or how many times they have been sold?

I dont think you can check, if they are Siemens see if they are discolored, Siemens used cheap plastic (back in the day) so if the cabinet got hot they would discolor and I would stay away from them as heat is an electronic killer but this was also longer than 9 years ago.

Best of luck!

I use to buy A LOT of used and resell them, you need to either test them and sell them as working with a 30/60 day return OR sell them discounted as untested.

I would say they are worth $1500, most that are 9 years old are obsolete so be prepared to hold them for years and sell them cheap

I dont think you can check, if they are Siemens see if they are discolored, Siemens used cheap plastic (back in the day) so if the cabinet got hot they would discolor and I would stay away from them as heat is an electronic killer but this was also longer than 9 years ago.

Best of luck!

Hey thanks for replying!

They are unused items, in factory boxes, so wear and tear isn’t an issue. But when paying so much, how do I make sure they aren’t stolen? Could I contact Siemens?

Have done a lot of this in the past specifically with Siemens stuff.

I guess it depends on who you're buying it from, I've used classic automation plenty of times. Their prices aren't really good, but usually in that situation the price doesn't really matter.

I have also during 2020/2021 purchased a ton of stuff from eBay vendors. Usually, I would filter out listings originated in east Asia, but I guess there's really no knowing where it originated even if you bought from a European listing.

I would say my success rate with buying used has been infinitely more successful then with using electronics repair house's.

Have done a lot of this in the past specifically with Siemens stuff.

I guess it depends on who you're buying it from, I've used classic automation plenty of times. Their prices aren't really good, but usually in that situation the price doesn't really matter.

I have also during 2020/2021 purchased a ton of stuff from eBay vendors. Usually, I would filter out listings originated in east Asia, but I guess there's really no knowing where it originated even if you bought from a European listing.

I would say my success rate with buying used has been infinitely more successful then with using electronics repair house's.

Good advice, appreciate it!

I suppose my main concern is if I am going to sell any of the equipment on. The components I’ve been offered are as a ‘job lot’ so I don’t need everything I’ve been offered, but they want to get rid of everything (cpu, inputs, outputs, modules, screens) all unused, but will only do me the deal if I buy it all, so therefore I may need to sell some bits on.

Being the first time im buying second hand, I am worried that if any of it is stolen then I may have issues selling it on?

Being the first time im buying second hand, I am worried that if any of it is stolen then I may have issues selling it on?

Ask for serial numbers before committing. If they are legitimate, then that should not be an issue. If it is an issue, then they may not be legitimate.

Ask for serial numbers before committing. If they are legitimate, then that should not be an issue. If it is an issue, then they may not be legitimate.

Thank you :)

What do I do with the serial numbers once I have them, is there a way to check the components history with them?

If they are old items odds are they are not stolen, more like someone was clearing house. If it was new then good chance its stolen or grey market

Why do you think it may be stolen?

It’s a friend of a family friend so I don’t personally know them, but generally speaking I would be like this wherever I bought them from if it’s second hand.

Interested to know what I can find out from the serial numbers, I have messaged the guy and asked for them.

I have bought the same PLC more than once from ebay... thats a dead give away its stolen, still had my warranty sticker on it.

When I first started I was buying Fluke meters at a really good price... so good I started researching the person and I told them that my CPA required their SSN number for tax reporting to the government, never heard from them again.

Get some sort of a receipt, so that way you are in the clear if in fact they are stolen and its semi in the clear, here in the states they will still take the products so you are out the money but the jail time will be on the other person.

There are a lot of ways to make an honest living, just do as much research as possible and dont feed the crooks.

I have bought the same PLC more than once from ebay... thats a dead give away its stolen, still had my warranty sticker on it.

When I first started I was buying Fluke meters at a really good price... so good I started researching the person and I told them that my CPA required their SSN number for tax reporting to the government, never heard from them again.

Get some sort of a receipt, so that way you are in the clear if in fact they are stolen and its semi in the clear, here in the states they will still take the products so you are out the money but the jail time will be on the other person.

There are a lot of ways to make an honest living, just do as much research as possible and dont feed the crooks.

The thing is they don’t own a business so I doubt I will get a receipt

Is the only real way to figure out they have been stolen if the previous owner or person they’ve been stolen from sees them?

Any way I can look up any database or anything with the serial number?

Any way I can look up any database or anything with the serial number?

I dont think the public can look them up, I know Siemens can and Allen Bradley can... Try this tell the seller you want some pics, you should see a seral number or two, then call Siemens tech support and ask them if its still under warranty, they will tell you no but then see if you can get anymore details from them, not sure what but maybe something will help you decide

Or just ask the seller "If I turn you into the police are you going to jail?"

I dont think the public can look them up, I know Siemens can and Allen Bradley can... Try this tell the seller you want some pics, you should see a seral number or two, then call Siemens tech support and ask them if its still under warranty, they will tell you no but then see if you can get anymore details from them, not sure what but maybe something will help you decide

Or just ask the seller "If I turn you into the police are you going to jail?"

Any ideas who I can call from Siemens in the UK? I have already emailed them a week ago with no reply!

Thank you, I’m going to try them this week!

I’ve been told by someone I’m looking for a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist… why would a manufacturer who is looking to make money think up an idea to have a database where everyone can check previous ownership of components when it would be time consuming and cost them money.

I suppose this is true, maybe I am looking too much into this.