How to use camera/sensor to differentiate different matters

Michealkyle

Hello, i am a uni student and i am trying to specialize in automation, i always had this project in mind that i can sort different items, for example lets say a pink rubber passes the sensor and i get a signal and if a red one passes i get another signal, how can i do that? (this doesnt have to be just color, maybe shapes, or heat as well? depending on what the project is i think it will change)

and more importantly how can i process the image or the color and know which one is different?

another problem is that is plc the right equipment for it? or should i use like microprocessors or something(which i have no idea how to use :D)

any guidence would be awesome, uni doesnt give me any help on this matter and i want to experiment with a project instead of idly standing by and wasting my life...

Thanks everyone in advance so much!

There are sensors that can output color information, but what you describe sounds as it can be more complex so a vision system seems to be what you are looking for.
A vision system not only senses objects, but may also perform complex analytics on the objects.
You may even have to consider vision system with multiple channels, i.e. visible light and IR light spectrums.
A PLC would only be used to react to input from another system, i.e. the above mentioned vision system.

so what you are saying is that i need to process the image with something first and then get that information to the plc and fire up what i need to fire up?

If that is the case can you elaborate more on this vision systems?

I don't have a lot of experience with vision systems.
Only witnessed how other guys were working with vision systems.
It is a whole world by itself. Special hardware and special software. Nothing like a PLC.

If you can get an education in vision systems, you have much better career options than if you get an education in PLCs.
Definitely go for it if possible.

If you can get an education in vision systems, you have much better career options than if you get an education in PLCs.
Definitely go for it if possible.

I always were curious about how cameras and image processing stuff were done, thanks so very much!