Need help choosing first PLC

Because of your location in the Southeastern US, I would highly recommend going with AB PLCs. I don't know about your exact location, but in most places around the south that i have worked, the AB distributors are significantly more helpful than the others.

I would stick with using a Micrologix1100 for your first projects if the I/O count isn't extremely large. The processor is relatively inexpensive(around $650 MSRP), and the programming software is free. It also has ethernet capability which is almost impossible to live without now days. As you figure things out and prove the usefulness of a PLC and have larger I/O projects, you can purchase the full blown RSLogix500 for programming the ML1400 or move to the compactlogix platflorm.

Least expensive is probably Galil's "Pocket PLC", but not standard PLC programming. Next is Automation Direct (Koyo). They claim in-stock w/ fast shipping and much less cost than A-B. After that, the big brands: A-B, Siemens, Beckhoff. I think A-B would hit you harder for software licenses and annual costs. A-B might be best for your company since others could be found easier to step in if you leave, but that isn't in your best interest.

The bang for the buck with the Siemens s7-1200 is hard to beat. You pretty much get a full featured PLC for a very modest price. There are also a bunch of programming examples online and a decent support network that is actually free.