Red Lion Remote View Setup Help

Neither of those worked and cables look good (They're only a couple feet) also I've been dowloading over USB not IP.

Reboot your computer with the cable plugged in.

Tell me exactly how the cables are connected. Include any switches.

Again, the problem is not with the Redlion. If you can't ping it, you aren't connected to it.

Reboot your computer with the cable plugged in.

Tell me exactly how the cables are connected. Include any switches.

Again, the problem is not with the Redlion. If you can't ping it, you aren't connected to it.

Will reboot now. I have PC to RL port on expansion card and ethernet port on RL to PLC.

Will reboot now. I have PC to RL port on expansion card and ethernet port on RL to PLC.

That is why it doesn't work. There isn't an IP address on the expansion card.

HOWEVER!!!

The standard port and the option card have to be on different sub-networks.

The way you are trying to set it up, the standard port can be on say 192.168.254.xxx and the expansion port on 192.168.253.xxx.

Your PC would need to be on 192.168.254.xxx and your PLC would then need to be on 192.168.253.xxx

I have my doubts that your pass-through will work, but if it does you would need to set up the routing table.

The easier configuration is to have a switch in the system, plug your PC, the standard port on the DSPSX and the PLC into it.

That is why it doesn't work. There isn't an IP address on the expansion card.

HOWEVER!!!

The standard port and the option card have to be on different sub-networks.

The way you are trying to set it up, the standard port can be on say 192.168.254.xxx and the expansion port on 192.168.253.xxx.

Your PC would need to be on 192.168.254.xxx and your PLC would then need to be on 192.168.253.xxx

I have my doubts that your pass-through will work, but if it does you would need to set up the routing table.

The easier configuration is to have a switch in the system, plug your PC, the standard port on the DSPSX and the PLC into it.

Would the PLC and PC addresses be the other way around because of the port they are plugging into? PC to expansion port and PLC to standard port? I guess I don't understand why a switch would be needed for only these two devices.

Would the PLC and PC addresses be the other way around because of the port they are plugging into? PC to expansion port and PLC to standard port? I guess I don't understand why a switch would be needed for only these two devices.

The two ports on the DSPSX *HAVE* to be on different networks. The way you want to do it, the expansion card is not needed.

Looks like it's partially working now. I had to go to the .253 address in my browser instead and it came up. Only problem now is nothing is coming through from the PLC haha.

Looks like it's partially working now. I had to go to the .253 address in my browser instead and it came up. Only problem now is nothing is coming through from the PLC haha.

Going back to your original post, you wanted everything on the 192.168.254.xxx Network.

All you need to do is make sure all your devices are on that network, plug them all into a switch, and you are good to go.

Is it possible that even though I can now see the remote view of the RL that its stil not talking to the PLC because of an addressing issue?

Is it possible that even though I can now see the remote view of the RL that its stil not talking to the PLC because of an addressing issue?

Each Port on the DSPSX have to be assigned an IP address - again, on different networks. Once you have done this, then make sure the PLC is plugged into the port on the DSPSX that is on the same network that it is on.

Then plug in the PC to the port on the DSPSX that is on the same network as the PC.

Network does not mean cables it means IP address ranges.

Note: I sometimes use the Data Station Plus devices to isolate my networks using the standard port and the expansion port. That way the DSP is talking to the PLC or other device on one network port and other devices (like web browsers) can connect on the other port but don't have access to the PLC except as info is passed to it from the DSP.

That doesn't seem to be your intent - and the Expansion Ethernet card costs more than an industrial Ethernet switch would cost.

And you'll have to forgive me because again this is all new to me, but if I added the switch then I would plug both ports of the RL to the switch as well as the PC and PLC? then put everything on .254?

And you'll have to forgive me because again this is all new to me, but if I added the switch then I would plug both ports of the RL to the switch as well as the PC and PLC? then put everything on .254?

No, the two ports have to be on different networks.

REMOVE the expansion card from the DSPSX put it back in the box and put the cover back on the DSPSX to cover the hole.

Plug the DSPSX standard port into the Switch, Plug the PC into the Switch, Plug the PLC into the switch and as long as all of them are on the 192.168.254.xxx network, everything will be fine.

Example:

DSPSX Standard Port - 192.168.254.101
PLC - 192.168.254.102
PC - 192.168.254.103

Each Port on the DSPSX have to be assigned an IP address - again, on different networks. Once you have done this, then make sure the PLC is plugged into the port on the DSPSX that is on the same network that it is on.

This is what I have going right now. PC and Expansion port are 253 and PLC and reg port are 254.

Note: I sometimes use the Data Station Plus devices to isolate my networks using the standard port and the expansion port. That way the DSP is talking to the PLC or other device on one network port and other devices (like web browsers) can connect on the other port but don't have access to the PLC except as info is passed to it from the DSP.

I guess my original question was confusing then because this IS what I'm trying to do actually. To be able to see info passed on from the PLC through the DSP web browser. I was just using my computer to verify that it was working properly.

This is what I have going right now. PC and Expansion port are 253 and PLC and reg port are 254.

I guess my original question was confusing then because this IS what I'm trying to do actually. To be able to see info passed on from the PLC through the DSP web browser. I was just using my computer to verify that it was working properly.

You can still do it the way I suggested with the switch. You only need two networks if you are trying to isolate the equipment. If you just want to display stuff from the PLC in the web browser, you don't need anything fancy.

If you need it isolated, then you will probably have to find a way to program your PLC because I don't believe pass-through will work to allow you to run the configuration software on your PC and "pass-through" from one DSPSX port to the other.

Do you *actually* need to isolate the networks. Let me get that question answered before I go on.

You can still do it the way I suggested with the switch. You only need two networks if you are trying to isolate the equipment. If you just want to display stuff from the PLC in the web browser, you don't need anything fancy.

If you need it isolated, then you will probably have to find a way to program your PLC because I don't believe pass-through will work to allow you to run the configuration software on your PC and "pass-through" from one DSPSX port to the other.

Do you *actually* need to isolate the networks. Let me get that question answered before I go on.

I guess the actual answer would be no. However, for the sake of learning the way to do it and already having the expansion card I would want to use it. It sounds like I can't actually use my computer though to verify things are working correctly?

edit: I think I understand what you're saying about configuration software now. You mean in the event I need to reconfigure the PLC i can't because I can't do it through the DSP correct? If that is what you're saying this PLC programs via usb so that wouldn't be a concern.

I guess the actual answer would be no. However, for the sake of learning the way to do it and already having the expansion card I would want to use it. It sounds like I can't actually use my computer though to verify things are working correctly?

Yes, you can use the computer to verify.

Since the IP address of your PLC is already 192.168.254.128 set the Standard port on the DSPSX to 192.168.254.129 and plug the two together.

Make the Expansion Port on the DSPSX IP address 192.168.253.129 and make your PC 192.168.253.130 and plug them together.

Now you will be able to view the webpages on 192.168.253.129 through your PC.