Rotary Encoder

OT: pedagogy and philosophy

I don't think of it as multiplying by unity but keeping the units straight ...
So do I, but then you and I just know this stuff.

"Keeping the units straight" is an abstract concept that presupposes the underlying knowledge, so it is less useful pedagogically; "multiplying by unity," on the other hand, contains the same concept but expressed in a way that connects directly to the knowledge to be gained, i.e. that unit conversion does not change the quantity in question. So in my experience it has a better record of converting outsiders into cognoscenti.

But yes, I agree that, in the end, multiplying by unity, keeping the units straight, bookkeeping, potayto, potahto, are all the same.

Last edited:
@kalabdel
Yes, it is doable with two induction motors, running both conveyor and knife. You have to have premium quality VFDs and good encoders . Also if required speeds are to fast or there is high inertia, then servos are solution.
Years ago I had Emerson demo their unidrive M700 series and they were amazingly precise and were not all that expensive, for smaller motors. It would be fun to try, just have to find an oldie machine to play with.

sounds like you broke the OP?

but converting units of circumference for whatever wheel is attached to the encoder, and scaling it to inches/mm for the operator to enter shouldn't be that monumental of a task.

If the issue is figuring out how to make an encoder work, then the next step of spending money on a servo, controller, ball screw, thk rails, etc to make an accurate flying cutoff die assembly.... may prove to be what puts a cork in this project.