RSView32 7.60 on Windows 7 x64

ptheabstract

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully install RSView32 on Windows 7...

The installer completes successfully, but it seems as though there are issues with the sql database integration (watcom sql 4.0) -- when I attempt to launch a project, I get this error:

http://picpaste.com/extpics/screenshot-EgZnYbSn.jpg
screenshot-EgZnYbSn.jpg
screenshot-EgZnYbSn.1383597759.jpg

This post mentions that the Sybase anywhere sql driver may be used...
Wow, I didn't know I was still subscribed to this thread. This is going to be extremely complicated how I got to this solution so hold on.

I found a workaround that was barely acceptable to me. I figured out that all the tags in RSView are kept in a file called tags.db in one of the folders under documents and settings - all users - rsview SE. (I am not so sure about that either as I haven't worked on this in a very long time.) I tried opening this file in every conceivable database program but nothing could recognize it. After hex editing it and looking for anything recognizable or that I could cross reference with another known database, I determined it is a Watcom SQL 4.0 database, circa 1992 or something like that. It turns out that this was a very useful and well regarded SQL server for that time period in certain circumstances. Unfortunately, this company ceased to exist in 1996. I tried buying about 10 books off ebay about using watcom databases, hoping that the software included with one of them would have an odbc driver, but none of them did. After researching this a lot further, I found that watcom's IP was sold to sybase I believe and they have a program called SQL Anywhere. It did come with an ODBC driver, so I did try this to connect to the DB but it requires authentication. I should also mention that when you install RSView it does install an ancient Watcom ODBC driver that was obviously written for windows 3.1 but it didn't work at all and would crash on 3 different computers we tried it on. Installing SQL Anywhere made this driver work again for some reason. Later because it was discovered that NERO 6.0 CD burning software was causing problems with a very advanced in-house application we uninstalled it, and I think that this magically made this driver work again. (It's been almost a year since I've touched this so I may be wrong). Back to the authentication, we were able to intercept the calls to the ODBC driver and determined that the username was "MMIUser" so one of the first passwords I tried was "MMIPass" and amazingly, it works. We can now pull this Database into any ODBC aware software such as Access and get all the low level stuff. I believe that this driver and login info works for all of the RSView SE databases such as the alarm log. We were then able to see how any tag was created, what all of its parameters were, and therefore import the tag database into our software program and recreate anything that RSView does on our own by emulating the processes that RSView has going on. This along with figuring out how to hack interprocess communication to work within an ActiveX control embedded inside RSView allows an amazing level of two way communication and interaction between RSView and external programs.

Since it's been almost a year since doing this I may have gotten a lot of details wrong, so post if you try to do something here, or if something needs more description and I'll fill you in some more.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Last edited:
Full Stop

The release notes for RSView32 version 7.60 explicitly do not include any 64-bit operating systems.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/453690

As you've found, RSView32 uses an SQL server that won't run on 64-bit operating systems. Because there is a successor product (FactoryTalk View SE) that has been upgraded to use a 64-bit SQL server, I don't see any plans for RA to develop "RSView64".

Fair enough :) I'm pretty glad that RSView32 is dead...

I can get watcom sql 4.0 running on windows 7 (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rtdsk40.exe) -- is it just that RSView32 doesn't know where to find it?