Siemens S7 - Using new CPU with old PC Software

Ktn

Hi all

Please advise if anyone has a work-around for ff problem: Using a Simatic S7 PLC with a 314C-2DP CPU that was just bought and since the S7 version on the PC is V5.2 SP1, the new PLC is not compatible with the old software. V5.4 SP3 is required to run this PLC, but short of spending the money to upgrade the PC software, is there a way to make the PC see the PLC as an earlier version. Hope this makes sense. Any advice/help will be really appreciated.

Regards
Ktn

I did but still not getting the order number I need [not getting the later model being cg03]:
6ES7 314-6cf03-0AB0 - offline
6ES7 314-6cg03-0AB0 - online

Hence me wanting the PC to see the PLC[online] as the older version of the CPU. Is this possible?

If you just want to look at the blocks, you can always go via "accessible nodes". That wont give you comments or symbols, but could be useful in a pinch.

I think that it is even possible to setup a project with a different offline CPU than what is online, and still be able to go online while keeping comments and symbols.
Assuming you have the original STEP7 project, then save to a new project.
Exchange the new CPU for the older CPU in the HW Config. This probably will delete symbols and blocks, so you copy them afterwards from the original project. Setup the HW config with same MPI adress, and you should be able to go online and still have the symbols and comments.

Last edited:
Oke, I read post #1 again. He's using Step7 v5.2 and can't get online with the new CPU.

Recently we had the same problem with some old laptops running an outdated S7 version. Online update of the hardware catelog didn't help, but after installing the Hardware Support Packages the problem was fixed. And the outdated step7 version was able to get online.

In the Siemens article (see link in my previous post) there's a document which lists all supported hardware and the mentioned cpu is listed.

So correct me if i am wrong, but this is worth a try.

From the specs for 6ES7314-6CG03-0AB0: "STEP7 ab V5.3 SP2 mit HW-Update"

He has version 5.2, so there is no HW update available.

edit: I'll take it back.

It says in the HSP list of updated devices that for 6ES7314-6CG03-0AB0 it shall work from STEP7 v5.2 SP1.

Either that HSP list is wrong (but I dont think so), or the latest online spec sheet for the 6ES7314-6CG03-0AB0 is wrong (which I think now).

My apologies :)

edit again: I wonder if the difference is related to different firmware versions. The HSP is fopr firmware 2.0, whereas the lastest firmware for the CPU is at 2.6.
Anyway, he should be able to setup his project with the HSP and firmware 2.0 and be fine.

Last edited: