SLC 5\05 Ethernet Comm. Problem

Hello, I am setting up a SLC-500 rack and cannot get my Ethernet communication to work. I have set the processor to default. Set up my serial driver in LINX and established communication through the DF-1 driver. I went in and was able to configure the I\O through auto read. I set up my channel 1 to BOOTP disable and entered the ip address and subnet mask. I was able to load the program successfully and everything in serial comm. When I change my driver over to my Ethernet drive that I also set up in linx I cannot establish comm wit the processor. Not sure where I am going wrong I am using a crossover cable going from my lap top to the processor. Any info would help!!

Don't forget to switch off your WiFi too; often the PC's operating system "gets confused" and will try to send out packets over the wireless instead of the wired network.

I did put the ip address in linx when I configured the driver. Is there somewhere else I need to add it. They are suppose to be the same in the slc processor and linx correct? No I didn't disable the wireless modem

The IP address you put into RSLinx Classic and the "Ethernet Devices" driver is the same IP address as the logic controller.

The more basic question is whether your PC is set up for a unique IP address on the wired network that the PC and the PLC are connected to. That's usually a "static IP" configuration, rather than the default dynamic IP configuration that an average PC uses when it connects to an office network.

This is basic PC configuration stuff; it's not specific to automation applications or software. There are thousands of tutorials and documents describing Windows PC networking.

As I mentioned, you should shut off the wireless network interface while testing the wired one.

Mickey was asking if you had set the ip address in your laptop.
If, for example, you configured your SLC IP address to be 192.168.1.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then your laptop's IP address needs to be in the same 192.168.1.xxx subnet (but not 100).

EDIT: What Ken said...

I think the laptop ip address might be the issue here. I checked under the network adapters in device manager and the ip address I have for the slc is also showing up here. That probably explains why I keep getting the error " No response from processor at selected path/node. Target node is not a SLC-500". And why when I up the comms window, under the ethernet tab it only shows my computer terminal, and not the SLC-500 symbol. Can you guide me where to get the ir address right since the laptop is not plugged into a network?

I did disable the wireless ?

I set the ip address as the procedure said. Hooked up SLC rack to laptop and did the network T/S tab. The problem came back that no cable was hooked up to the laptop. Which isn't the case. Could it be that I have to go through a router or hub? Don't really see why since I am going straight from laptop to slc processor. Also the old laptop I used to use before it died worked fine but this new one has something going on.

Kind of hard to troubleshoot with the info available. Can you post the SLC's program ( zip it first)? Also a picture of how you have setup RSLinx and how you have setup the laptop's I/P address.

If connected to the SLC directly then a crossover cable is what you need.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your help. I finally got things to work. I dug a little deeper into what you kept asking me about my pc ip address. It took me some time to look through my cheat sheets that I have saved over the years but I put 2 and 2 together about the ip address issue. I was only adding the address for my slc in linx and not setting one up for my pc. So I guess with that config. I was only looking for my pc. Once I set up node 0 for my pc and node 1 for my slc in linx I was able to talk in Ethernet.

powder_river_2011 said:
...I finally got things to work...It took me some time to look through my cheat sheets that I have saved over the years...I put 2 and 2 together...Once I set up node 0 for my pc and node 1 for my slc in linx I was able to talk in Ethernet.

Ehh, what?

I think you need to update those cheat sheets? Are they for Duke Nukem or something?

By "node" do you mean octet and that you assigned IP addresses ending xxx.xxx.xxx.0 and xxx.xxx.xxx.1 or what the heck?

On a side note: That saying, "...put 2 and 2 together...", which usually implies an answer of 4, has never made sense to me?

Surely, if you put 2 and 2 together you would get 22? :unsure:

I've had a drink, or two, so please forgi...:sleep:

(The sober translation of the above would be "Well Done!")

BCS,

I feel for you, but I'm sure you more than make up for it when you get your land legs back!