so how'd you find yourself programming PLC's?

Myself I went to a local jr college got a degree in refrigeration and air conditioning(didn't major in spelling), realized I didn't want to do that, didn't want to go back to school so I joined the US Navy, wound up going to school for another two years for electronics. Gave them ten years, seen the world, realized there's no place like a small town for me.

My first job interview, they asked me if I knew PLC's, at the time I'd never heard of them. Could fix a radio or radar system, but what was a PLC, needless to say I didn't get the job.

Started working for the company I work for as an Electronics tech, found a handheld programmer for AB, figured it out, talked the company into getting RSLogix, IT guy didn't think we needed the software because we had the handheld(like the money was coming out of his pocket).

Transferred to another plant in the company(300 yaards from the other one), this plant I don't get to do that much programming, operations manager doesn't think a maintenance man should be behind a computer.
Do everything from plumbing, welding, machining, electrical and get to work on programs every now and then when the manager isn't around.

Work with AB, Honeywell Plantscape and Experion, SY/Max and AD, I just love making things do what I want them to.

How'd it Happen?

Where to start...

I guess it all started when I developed the knack to take apart my toys and turn them into something else.

That eventually led to an AAS in Electronic Engineering Technology.

Soon after, I began working for a small private custom built machinery house. Started building the panels, wiring the machines, install startup etc. We rarely built the same machine twice. I learned more in two years than I'd realized. Pneumatics, Hydraulics, Mechanics. I learned how to operate all of the machine shop equipment and quickly moved on the drawing board (yep, pencils and paper). I still have loads of those green templates (unused). I saw and used my 1st PLC back then, a TI programmed via boolean through a calculator look-alike (again with pencil and paper). Within two years, the Engineer was releived of his duties and I was designing both mechanical and electrical systems. Really neat projects considering the PC was still in it's infancy.

Fast forward to now.

For the last 15 years or so I've been working for a packaging systems engineering company. I've been in 20 or so countries, with emphasis in Asia, South America and the Caribean. I've learned enough Spanish to, meet my Fiance.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of work available within the packaging industry. Hats off to all the marketing guys for changing their products so often.

Isn't it supposed to slow down and get easier as we age?
Bah...Who needs that.

pstephens said:
I recently assembled my own AM transmitter so I could listen to some decent music on my old AM tubers. Keeps me out of trouble, anyway.

Paula, You have exceptional hearing.. :eek:

Dont worry, I'm lis-desic too..

I was from one of the underdeveloped countries in Southeast Asia. After I had graduated from High School, I was waiting to attend Technological University in my country. Unfortunately, there was a student demonstration and Government closed down all Universities for unlimited time.

I was waiting for three years but there was no sign for University to reopen again, I gave up my hope and come abroad to get technical diploma.

After I had got my diploma, I was started working as Service Engineer in very small machine manufacturing company (Less than 10 people). I rarely touched PLC that time although they use NAiS and OMRON PLC for their machine. I was mostly worked on electrical troubleshooting and some C++ stuffs.

I resigned my first job after a year and joined another company. Luckily, I got full-time PLC programmer job that time and have an opportunity to learn PLC. I got more experiences after I travelled to other southeast asia countries for on-site software troubleshooting and modification. I also had got experiences in system integration as we used various types of laser system and machine vision system in our machines.

I resigned the job after another year as I felt underpaid. Now I am working as PC+PLC programmer.

I'm positive I've told 'my story' here before, but can't seem to find that post. I'll repeat it anyway for the newer members.

I intended to become an electrician. One year each of 'Electrical Trades' and 'Electronics' courses at the county vocational technical school (vo-tech) during my junior and senior years of high school. Went to work for a local residential/industrial electrician part time during my senior year, then full time once I graduated. I didn't enjoy the outside work in the cold, so at the onset of the second winter, I looked for an indoor job.

I went to work for one of the first (I'm quite sure it was THE first) developers of automotive air bags. I helped build and maintain test equipment for the collision detectors ('Insider' info: It's really just a steel ball and a magnet). Worked there a few years. Let's just say that disputes regarding their (lack of) quality control led to my 'dismissal'... ;)

When unemployment ran out, I applied for a job as a maintenance mechanic at an injection molding company, but my electrical background got me hired on in their newly formed automation department. They molded cassette and VHS storage cases (and 8-tracks at the time!), and had just started molding the (then new) CD jewel cases. We designed and built all the removal and assembly equipment for these items. Back then, all I used were relays, timers, and mechanical drum switches for sequence control.

I discovered this thing they call a PLC I guess around 1987 and bought an Omron SYSMAC S6 to 'practice' on. Worked my way up through the K series, eventually to the C200 stuff as the equipment became more involved. As the company grew, we started farming out some of the assembly equipment to outside manufacturers. Of course, I learned all the different brand PLCs that were used. They eventually bought a lot of high-speed removal/assembly cells for the jewel cases (and their new DVD cases). That's where I got a lot of exposure to European equipment, and schooled myself in the Siemens S5 stuff (eingang/ausgang anyone?).

After 13 years with them, there was not any new automation to be built, and enough time was spent 'fine tuning' everything to run smoothly that there wasn't much left to do. I left there out of sheer boredom. A year later, the company was bought out by another, who moved the whole operation to Atlanta. I guess I got out at the right time, 'cause I had no intentions of moving.

I went to work for a small automation company that my former boss at the molding company started. Substantially less pay, but I was no longer bored. Mostly custom 'one-of' machines for various industries. We recently combined with a contract packaging company, so now I get to built stuff for in-house use as well... :cool:

Oh, and by the way, for all you new guys entering the field. The majority of my learning took place B-E-F-O-R-E the internet (Yes, believe it or not, www. didn't ALWAYS exist). Back then, we ONLY had the manuals (and we RTFM cover to cover!). If the answer wasn't there, you had to pick up the phone and pray a knowledgeable tech guy was at the other end. A rare occurrance!

beerchug

-Eric

I graduated high school, went to a Jr. College for Industrial electricity. Got a certificate in 2 years. I then got a job in a "MINI
Mill" (anyone that thinks a mini mill is small should try being the only guy there at 2:30 in the morning.) Not only did I maintain All friggin types of stuff, but we also were starting to transfer all the relay logic to PLC. It was all that T.I.,Siemens, Koyo 305 stuff (I believe now A.D.) Not any networking stuff, just each piece of equipment on a PLC. All this PLC stuff was pretty much programmed and maintained using a hand held controller. Meanwhile I NEVER owned,or even cared about P.C.'s. I did that for about 5 years then got a job in a similar (but cleaner) environment where everything was more or less networked. Did the wire-pulling, troubleshooting stuff for a coupla years, bought a P.C. and then started to make the connection...
Soon they made me a tech and so far, so, good.
I think my resume might look O.K. after all.

Last edited:
Damn! Am I the only member of this forum who didn't get to go to school for this stuff?

The Navy didn't teach me electrical. But I joined one day. My previous employers didn't send me to classes or training. But I learned something every day. My current employer likes the fact that I can do all their electrical and PLCs. So I come back each day.

Man where would I be with some schoolin'?

The guy that was supposed to teach me PLCs 7 years ago quit as soon as we opened RSLogix 500 one day. So there I was, in front of a laptop, with no idea what I was about to step off in. Boys and girls, I dove off into that tiny program and made stuff work by remembering two things: the Help files, crappy as they can be, and "right-click" on the mouse.

And now, here I sit, wanting to go to school...

...and programming PLCs.

Hi,
I graduated in 1988 as an Electrical Engineer.

I had studied both power distribution as well as control and regulation. Boy, is power distribution boring ! So I looked for a job where I could play around with controls and regulation and have as little to do with power distribution as possible.

I found a small OEM company making turbo compressors. My job was making electrical documentation, programming, testing, commisioning. There wasnt much regulation but lots of programming.

In the beginning it was only Siemens S5 with a clunky CPM machine for progamming. You could say that the STEP5 of that time was awfully crude, but also quite powerful in its own way. Later i tried both AEG and Allen Bradley PLCs.

The job was initially very comfortable and the atmosphere was great. But it got more and more hectic as the company became more succesful every year. The revenue grew, but the number of employees stayed the same. At the same time, the controls became more and more complicated with the customers asking for specific features (and we never said "no" to a potential customer). So the workload grew to unacceptable levels (because of the stress I grew a tick by the left eye :eek: ). It ended with me and another person in the 4-man team of "electrics" quit.

I found my current work place and am quite happy. Its another OEM company known for stability and high quality products (actually a little bit prestigious - so I was glad that they wanted me). We make equipment and plants for foundries.
The biggest downer is that foundries applies for the award for being the dirtiest, noisiest, most health-endangering business there is (maybe foundries doesnt win, but they must be amongst the front runners).
The best part is that I get to travel to almost everywhere in the world.

Now, I mostly do AB and Siemens S7, and I also do HMI programming as well as system design. The job is much more varied than before. Now I could use some of the regulation I learned, but most of it is gone. Thats what happens when you dont use your knowledge.

I was genetically engineered in a test tube for the sole purpose of programming PLC's. Unfortunately, the experiment has failed.

Really, I didn't have any training either. I started as an oilfield construction electrician. I noticed that the guys on the projects everybody seemed to want to be were the PLC programmers. They never had to sweat from physical exertion. I figured that was the job for me. So, I tried to learn all that I could about them. Unfortunately, programmers in our field are very guarded about their magic computer skills. So, I decided to buy the software and learn by doing. Now, when new construction is done on our facility, the contract programmers always ask me...."How did you do that?" and I always tell them. I honestly have to say this site is a lightning bolt to those that try to hide this information. I spend a lot of time reading the posts and have doubled my PLC knowledge thanks to some of the great PLC programmers that believe that to keep your job, don't hide the information, just increase the amount you have. I don't think everybody realizes how valuable the knowledge we exchange on this forum is. It's priceless. beerchug

I don't think everybody realizes how valuable the knowledge we exchange on this forum is.

I think everybody who is here regularly does - that's why we're here regularly after all (even if "regularly" is also "recently" in my case - it's not that long since I discovered the forum, but I wouldn't want to be without it).

Well, I'm more or less in the same situation as most of us here are.

I graduated from high school (here in Belgium we call it TSO - Technisch Secundair Onderwijs or in plain English Technical Secundary Education) as an electrician in 1980. In those days they hadn't heard about PLCs in school yet. Our education was very broadly based, but nothing was covered in-depth.

I started out to wiring machines for Philips, a Dutch electronics company. After a while I was taught how to test the ins and outs of the PLC, later on I learned how to make little changes to existing programs and within 5 years I was designing new machines. Of course none of this could have happened if I hadn't shown to be anxious to learn.

After I broke my back in the late 80's I was looking to get a job with much less constraint for my poor beaten body. At first I became chief of the quality laboratory, but that job was too much paper and too little electrics/electronics/PLC. So I looked to change and since 11 years now I'm involved in knowledge sharing, in other words I'm working for the Flemish Public Employment Service (VDAB) teaching both employees and unemployed how to program PLCs. In the meantime I'm also involved in the European Vocational Training Association, which is an association for knowledge sharing.

So you see, even if you haven't gotten a University education, it's possible to get a long way.

Kind regards,

I am just a truck driver, dang that was one heck of a wrong turn I reckon.
All I ever wanted to do was to drive trains. When I got out of Engineering school, I asked "Which way to the railroad"?. They said "You're not that kind of engineer". It's been downhill ever since. I should have been more suspicious when they didn't offer driver training in college.