Splitting a 4-20mA signal

I've heard of some amplifiers that take an incoming 4-20mA signal, then have 3-4 output channels that amplify the current so some type analog card can read it, but I've never seen the device myself. Maybe some one else may know after reading my post?

I think you need a signal duplicator, I use them when I am building anything ATEX rated as they also act as signal isolation. The one I usually use is made by Phoenix. Not sure if they do one with 4 outputs though but possibly you could use three?

4 loads is usually pushing but if the 4 loads are low resistance, you may be able to put them all in series. You have to check how much resistance the transmitter can drive into.

Also, some loads like displays may have built in signal replicators. What are the 4 things you need to connect to.

If you already have a PLC in the system, maybe you could take the signal into an analog input and send it out 4 analog outputs.

Loop.png

Last edited:
Look at this from Moore Industries. I have used many of their isolators over many years with very good results.

Model: MIX/4X4-20mA/4X4-20mA/12-42DC [DIN] see page 4 of the data sheet.

https://www.miinet.com/?page=product&cid=isolators&id=MIX_4X4_20mA_4X4_20mA_12_42DC_DIN_isolator

as John above mentioned. the moore units are high quality and i have over 30 of them installed since 1997 one one has been replaced, never seem to need recalibration in our applications

Any analogue 4-20ma system should easily take two loads, to reduce cost put the sensor in series with a 4-20 isolating amp then drive the next two analogue inputs/instruments then do the same for the next two but you would need to probably use active powered units. This way you only need two.

If you go the PLC route know that there will be a short delay and quantization errors when the Analog input and Analog outputs convert the signal.