Time Sync problem (Rockwell Automation)

MHamza1998

I have a problem with time sync working in this topology.
I have a plc with grandmaster clock controlling motion groups. I wanted to add kinetix 350 to the local network of the seconed plc.
I enabled the time synchronization in the seconed processor but it sees the first one as the grandmaster and i can not control the drive .. after removing the ethernet cable from the first plc the drive worked well. But i still need the connection of the first plc to the network.
ANY HELP ?!

20231022_202742.jpg

Both are control logix
The drive is the device that is not working , it sees the plc with the grandmaster clock as it's master , and not the seconed plc it's connected to it

Is Time Sync Enabled on the 2nd PLC? Is it the system master? (see Date/Time tab on processor properties)
Same question for the 1st PLC
Is CIP Sync Time Synchronization enabled or disabled on the two ENET cards?

The time sync is enabled on both PLCs , 1st PLC is the master.
The ENET Card connected to the servo has the time sync enabled , but on the ENET connected to the first plc is disabled

My memory is a little foggy, but I did fight something like this a few years ago.

I think the solution resides in the Controller properties / Date-Time Tab / Advanced screen. You need to adjust the priorities of the controllers. I think you want to make the 1st PLC lower priority than the 2nd PLC (not 100% certain, but i think so)

EDIT - see next reply

Last edited:
Put a NAT on the second PLC ethernet. This will prevent it from seeing the first PLC and it can act as it's own time sync. I have a huge network across 17 buildings and several PLC's have servos. All that have servos have a NAT for this very reason because if the second PLC can't see the first one of the syncing is delayed, the servo stuff is extremely sensitive to this.