What Happens if Uncharged VFD is Connected to Charged DC Bus

bodoo23

if the dc fuse of the uncharged drive is closed when the dc bus of other drives is charged , what happens ? Is there any risk of damaga capacitor ? As I know, capacitor can stand to very high currents thanks to its nature. I know the fuse might clear but if the fuse is oversized, is there any risk for capacitor ?

In general, connecting a discharged VFD directly to a full voltage source is a very bad idea. If there are fuses in line, they will probably instantly clear, even if drastically oversized, and yes, there is the potential to damage/destroy the capacitors, as most drives don't incorporate a precharge circuit directly on the DC bus.

In general, connecting a discharged VFD directly to a full voltage source is a very bad idea. If there are fuses in line, they will probably instantly clear, even if drastically oversized, and yes, there is the potential to damage/destroy the capacitors, as most drives don't incorporate a precharge circuit directly on the DC bus.

Thanks for your clear respond. I was thinking that the inrush limiter/precharge circuit is just for protecting the front end of vfd but as I understand from your respond, it also protects capacitor from damage right ?

When AC Powered, the charging circuit if most VFD's, especially larger ones, automatically reduce the inrush charging current to the rectifier/capacitor bank.

When powered directly from a DC Bus, unless the drive was designed with an inrush limiter, there generally is not one, as the DC Bus terminals are connected directly to the DC bus in the drive.