Which Standards Manuals should I acquire?

I'm at a new company in the USA that hired me because they have no clue about controls. I have to start the controls division from the ground up. EHS is also a new concept for them so not even their NFPA reference material is up to date. I don't think they have ever done so much as an arc flash assessment and they have plenty of robots and controls cabinets (that are not up to spec). What KEY regulatory standards should I add to their library to get them started and help with writing their controls standards documents? So far I have some of the basics to cover things:

1. NFPA79
2. NFPA 70E
3. NEC70 (70E)
4. UL508A
5. ???

Anything I should add from ANSI, NEMA, IEEE, ISO, UL, OSHA, NFPA, or RIA that haven't? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

If you have any type of "fired" equipment, such as boilers, oxidizers, or such. There are ASME codes that have to be followed. Some require SIL 2 rated controls, some SIL 3. Since you mentioned robots, I assume you make some type of widget, and not Chemicals. So PSM does not come into play.

I do not remember the spec numbers off hand, but there is one for bonding/grounding of facilities.

Last edited:
If you have any type of "fired" equipment, such as boilers, oxidizers, or such. There are ASME codes that have to be followed. Some require SIL 2 rated controls, some SIL 3. Since you mentioned robots, I assume you make some type of widget, and not Chemicals. So PSM does not come into play.

I do not remember the spec numbers off hand, but there is one for bonding/grounding of facilities.

I was thinking NFPA 86 because there are multiple ovens for heat treating.

There is an acid wash (HF & Nitric) room with machinery there, but I'm not sure what would apply there.

Here is a good place to start with the standards. This link is to SICK's guide to safety. I like this one because it is fairly easy to understand and isn't as hard to read as the actual standards. The 16th page of the PDF has a great road map of the safety standards. Plus it has lots of pictures.

I tend to reference the ISO standards since RIA and NEC are starting to refer to it no.

https://www.sick.com/media/docs/6/06/606/Special_information_Safety_Guide_For_The_Americas_en_IM0032606.PDF

That's a good one, thanks!