Why does Siemens have to be such a *****?

I agree that Siemens can be a right pain. Their software is poorly written, resource hungry and deliberately crippled in order to sell more 'licenses' for parts of the software that should just work.

It does make them extremely frustrating to deal with sometimes.

But... as Jesper rightly pointed out, it keeps us all in beer. ;-)

Worse, if it was easy and intuitive everyone could in principle do your job.
Because it is hard and a bit mysterious, your job is safe. And people consider you to be a wizard. Win-win. ;)

I mostly manage my own work. Truth is, the only person who really knows how much effort I put into getting this working is myself.

And, of course, The Americans are never wrong...

There is a definite philosophical difference between European suppliers and Americans. I have observed this in many products, not just PLCs, and many suppliers, not just Siemens. Your comment typifies that difference.

European manufacturers tend to be more dictatorial, if you will. They set the parameters, they lay down the rules, and the end user is expected to defer to their superior product knowledge. (I'm almost convinced that Siemens resents having to allow end users to create their own programming - they seem to think the end user should hire that done by Siemens.) European products tend to be applied by engineers, most with degrees akin to our Masters. Technicians and tradesmen are just wrench turners.

American manufacturers tend to accommodate the end user, even if the end user is wrong. The end user expects to be able to abuse products and not suffer consequences. The end user expects a lot for a low price, and isn't shy about coercing suppliers with loss of business. Technicians and tradesmen tend to be knowledgeable, think for themselves, and expect to be given a lot of authority on programming etc. Suppliers are expected to defer to the end users superior application knowledge.

I'm an American, so I like our ways. That doesn't necessarily mean they are better - I just like them.

(And before I get slammed about how hard A-B is to use, I am convinced they really try to accommodate the customer. It's just that their offerings are so broad, their design and software teams so dispersed, that most of the time they just don't understand what the end user needs!)

Last edited:
There is a definite philosophical difference between European suppliers and Americans. I have observed this in many products, not just PLCs, and many suppliers, not just Siemens. Your comment typifies that difference.

European manufacturers tend to be more dictatorial, if you will. They set the parameters, they lay down the rules, and the end user is expected to defer to their superior product knowledge. (I'm almost convinced that Siemens resents having to allow end users to create their own programming - they seem to think the end user should hire that done by Siemens.) European products tend to be applied by engineers, most with degrees akin to our Masters. Technicians and tradesmen are just wrench turners.

American manufacturers tend to accommodate the end user, even if the end user is wrong. The end user expects to be able to abuse products and not suffer consequences. The end user expects a lot for a low price, and isn't shy about coercing suppliers with loss of business. Technicians and tradesmen tend to be knowledgeable, think for themselves, and expect to be given a lot of authority on programming etc. Suppliers are expected to defer to the end users superior application knowledge.

I'm an American, so I like our ways. That doesn't necessarily mean they are better - I just like them.

(And before I get slammed about how hard A-B is to use, I am convinced they really try to accommodate the customer. It's just that their offerings are so broad, their design and software teams so dispersed, that most of the time they just don't understand what the end user needs!)

It a view, totally wrong, but your entitled to it 🍻