GE 9030 programming package

cjh

Anybody familiar with Logic Developer?

I have an associate that was told (or misunderstood) by a distributor that both Logic Developer and Versa Max programming software is needed to program a 9030.

I am familiar with Versa Max but have never used Logic Developer. I never needed Logic Developer in the past but from their website, it just looks like a different programming package.

Can someone more familiar with GE enlighten me on this?

I have never used Proficy Logic Developer.

Whenever possible, I use my old favorite, LogicMaster90 DOS.

I have used VersaPro a lot, and Cimplicity. I am not aware of any reason that you would need two different software packages. there are a couple of PLCS.net members that work for GE reps and some that use it extensively that may have more current info.

I am aware that you can work upward, program in Logicmaster, revise, etc in VersaMax. I don't think that you can start in cimplicity, modify in VersaMax, then modify in LogicMaster.

Thats one a second reason I like LogicMaster, anyone with better software can work on it.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

If I'm wrong, someone will post and tell us soon!.

I plan to break down and get a better computer soon, which means newer and better software.

regards.....casey

Yes, I have AutoCAD, but prefer LT. I see no reason for 3D schematics.

GE seems to go out of their way to confuse people about their PLC programming software.

VersaPro software will program the 90-30 PLCs. It will also program the VersaMax PLCs. VersaPro software has been succeeded by Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC software. Cimplicity Machine Edition is a family of software modules that share a common database. There is Machine Edition View for HMI applications. There is Machine Edition Logic Developer PC for 'soft PLC' applications. There is a module for programming ladder in CNC controllers. The list goes on...

As if the name 'Cimplicity Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC' wasn't confusing enough, GE Fanuc recently renamed the product Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. I guess they finally realized that there's nothing cimple about Cimplicity.

Back to your question: If you already have VersaPro, you have what you need to prgram the 90-30 PLC. The 90-30 product line will eventually be succeeded by the Rx3i line. VersaPro cannot program the Rx3i line. For that you will need Proficy Machine Edition. Proficy Machine Edition can also program the 90-30 PLCs. So, if you don't already own programming software for your 90-30, purchase Machine Edition. If you already own VersaPro, you should be OK, but any future enhancements to the 90-30 will require ME.

One caveat as far as ME is concerned: It requires more computer resources to run than VersaPro. Published minimum is 128 meg of RAM, but you really need more than that. If you're going to buy ME, you may need to buy a new computer as well.

Thanks, that clears things up. I had no idea that Logic Developer was even remotely related to Cimplicity. I knew that they had combined their softwares into 1 "suite" but I didn't make the connection with Logic Developer.

GE Software packages

This was written 2005-04-18

LM90 = LogicMaster 90. MS-DOS based software.
Actual version, hardware 9.05, editor 9.06
Be aware that there is special update for Win2k PC:s
that makes this difference in versions. And this update is crucial if your intension is to upload from a PLC to a PC.
No further development of LM90 is avialble.

Versa Pro , GE:s first release of Windows based editor and configuration tool. Versa Pro can be bought in to versions, standard and professional. The Standard version supports every system except 90-70 and some newer modules. The Professional version supports any hardware except some newer modules.
Actual version, 2.04.

Cim ME = Cimplicty Machine Edition, now more known as PME = Proficy Machine Edition. In this software GE has combined their Windows CE based panel with PLC/SoftPLC in one program. Note ! GE:s Datapanels and the old panels Oiucfg/Quickpanel aren't supprted by this software.
Depending on your licence the software gives you several options.
There are the following different options.
Logic Developer PLC, Logic Developer PLC, Motion Developer and final, View (read panels).

Actual version 5.0 SP3 Hotfix 1

Cim PE = Cimplicity Plant Edition now known as PPE = Proficy Plant Edition. Only in use for HMI/Scada systems. No aviavlbility to program PLC:s in this tool.
Actual version 6.1 SP3.

Hope this will help anyone out there.

Ge Lm90

Can anybody help me on GE LM90-30.
I'm a student and trying to learn and fix a prolem in the RObot chamber, in our lab.
we hav an interface coded in C.
when in manual mode , i try to control the machine, when i click OPen valve button, the PLC respond, the machine does that.
But when i click Close valve button, it doesnt do anything.

I have no clue...????
what do i do now....?

I have never worked on PLC , have knowledge of C programming.,
Plz guide me to fix this problem. This would decide my funding chances at school.

jack

jack17...

It's admirable that you are willing to jump in, up to your neck, into something that you have absolutely no familiarity with... wait a minute... in some cases, wouldn't that be called... crazy?

And then, to lay on us that you are depending on us to help you fix something that you know nothing about... so that you can get funding for education... now what would that be called? Hutz-pah? (sp?)

Let me give you this...

If the process was working before... and now it is not... there's about a 99.99% chance that the problem is external... sensors, switches, etc.

I hope you get your funding.