Rx3i problem with CPE305 on GE PLC

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a problem loading the first configuration and logic to a new CPE305.

This is about the 20th CPE305 I have setup.
I have never had a big problem connecting with Ethernet at 192.168.0.100 (Default address in module).
My PC is at 192.168.1.50.
There are no other devices on network....I am direct connected to Ethernet port on CPE305.
Cannot ping 192.168.0.100??
Verified cable..OK.
Green and Orange lights come on on Ethernet port on CPE305 when cable is connected.

On CPE305:
Status lights..
RN = Green
EN = Green
Status = Green
OK = OFF
also all other lights are off.

I assume that OK is off because I have not downloaded a configuration. I have not noticed this state when doing other startups because of no previous problems on first load with Ethernet.
I do not have an IC693CBL316 cable to go the RJ-45/RS232 connection route.

Help!
Any ideas??

My mistake...
My PC is at 192.168.0.50 (not 192.168.1.50)
192.168.1.# is so popular, I typed it by mistake.
Subnet on PC is 255.255.255.0

I will have to watch to get the sequence..
I did not know there was a power up sequence for the leds??
Is the sequence in this data sheet?

By the way...it is in Slot 1, that is the common slot I have used on all the others.

This sounds like a CPU problem and I am overseas....It will take days to get another one...****.

Last edited:
Try creating a new project file in Proficy Machine Edition. Use the modules in the system in their current locations and see if it validates.
I did not know there was a power up sequence for the leds??
Is the sequence in this data sheet?
I don't think it is documented, but I think the OK LED blinks during the power-up self test. You could see if the LEDs follow the same sequence as a known good CPU.

If I have not connected yet and the OK LED is off...and 192.158.0.100 does not answer ping....how will a new project fix the issue?

I'm not suggesting you try to download the new project to the PLC. You expressed uncertainty about having the CPU module in slot 1. If a project that matches the physical layout fails to validate, you know there is something wrong with the configuration.

I just stated slot location for reference.
I already tried moving PS to slot 0/1 and CPU to Slot 2 with same results.

Thanks for info and I have latest firmware (8.75).
Will attempt to see if this solves issue when I go in Monday.

That will be your Sunday because I am 13 hours ahead of east coast time (Singapore).
This time difference makes contacting GE support a little complicated if they want me to test something. Usually... if I need US tech support, I have to go back into work at night.

Last edited:
More strange information....
Tried firmware flash but RDSD LED never came on....probably because of no "OK" led.
Pulled all I/O cards from rack except for CPU, PS, and Serial Bus Transmitter module for expansion rack (disconnected the cable to isolate expansion rack)....still no "OK" led.

Kicker to issue....customer was impatient so they purchased CPE305 locally in Singapore.

I installed it with new supplied Energy Pack and .... SAME ISSUE???

Maybe Backplane??

Waiting to hear from GE Tech Support..

Last edited: