Panelview Plus 6 1500 question marks

snaoum

In my project, I have a Panel View Plus 6 1500 communicating with a ControlLogix L61.

My issue is I have about 80 screens and when the user navigates to any screen all the tags show question marks for a split second, real quick but non the less it is annoying and the end user will surely not like it.

Also if a user goes to a screen where there are many hidden (invisible) items you will quickly see the outline of those items when the screen loads.

I have tried to play with the tag update timing and whatnot and cannot seem to resolve the issue.

When I run this project on my development PC no issues, it is only when the project is downloaded and run from the HMI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your comm switch look for IGMP snooping, check your system overhead time slice normally is 20%. Also check if your PV and L61 are using full fuplex and 100 mb/s.

The Overhead time slice is set to 20%. Under the Ethernet module properties (1756-ENBT/A) in the general tab it is set to 10/100Mbps Ethernet Bridge, Twister-Pair Media.

Anything I can check on the PV?

Where can I find the IGMP snooping part?

I never had this issue when I was using a Siemens HMI with the AB L61.

a) Are you using ON TOP or REPLACE on display type? (open any screen, right-click on the background to show context menu, click on Display Settings).

b) Do you have other devices on the ethernet network?

I have my screens set to REPLACE.

The PLC and HMI are on the company network.

192.168.44.xxx

PLC is 226 and HMI 227 and they only communicate with each other, no other devices.

I have tried that, it still does it. Going to a screen that has several items with visibility object you see their outline when the screen loads and for a split second you may see tag values with question mark.

In FT View Studio under global connections there is a update rate. I played with that and didn't notice a different. Also on each screen display settings there is an update time and playing with that I did not see a different. Anything I can check on the HMI itself?

The PLC is connected directly to the HMI, sometimes we put a Siemens switch in between.

Still do not understand where to look for the Igmp stuff.

I have tried that, it still does it. Going to a screen that has several items with visibility object you see their outline when the screen loads and for a split second you may see tag values with question mark.

I found the behavior you describe when:

a) A shorcut connection is lost and the HMI is connected to 2 or more controllers.
b) There is another device on the network forcing to slow down the data traffic.
b) There are too many images to render (I mean, like jpg or bmp images).
c) Too many Replace displays are open.

In FT View Studio under global connections there is a update rate. I played with that and didn't notice a different. Also on each screen display settings there is an update time and playing with that I did not see a different. Anything I can check on the HMI itself?

The update value on global connections only affect the variables declared there. Each display (screen) has a Maximun Tag Update Rate (Display Settings).

Question: Did you create the tags on HMI Tags? Or each screen points directly to a tag on the PLC?

A: No shortcut connections. Connected to one controller
B: No other devices on the network
C: Each screen has a jpg as a background
D: All my screens are setup as replace. I do not get how too many can be open?

Each time you load a Replace Display, the last one is unloaded (at least that's is what the manual says). In theory, the tags declared inside a display are updated only when the display is loaded. For that reason the recommendation is to use Replace Display: this way the data traffic is low. I only use On Top Display with popups windows (use & close windows).

I think the image as a backgroud is an issue, depending of the size, because the system needs to load/unload that image each time you open a new display. I would test two screens, without background images, navigating from one to the other.

By the way, I recommend you to read this technote just to be sure there is no problem with memory space:

TN 39481 FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Terminal Memory Usage Best Practices (Access Level Everyone):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39481

Removing the background image makes no difference.

Again if I run the application on my development PC I have no issues. When a screen loads the tags show the value without a glitch. So fast you do not see the question marks.

Only when the project is downloaded onto the PV do you see the question marks.

As mentioned before, it is very fast when it happens. When a specific screen loads for a split second you may see question marks.