GE fanuc 90-30 communication problem

bufordo

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been trying to communicate with a inoperable GE Fanuc 90-30.

Using Versapro 1.1 on a windows 7. Using a new usb converter cable # IC690USB901 and also tried a "cheater cable-serial type) to no avail.

currently onthe power supply the green power and ok leds are lit. There is no run led showing (lit)

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Two comments.
1. I have not had very good success using VersaPro with Windows 7. YMMV
2. Scroll down here for a video on 'How to' do that.
http://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-usb-snp-plc-cable-ic690usb901-90-30-90-70/

Note, is it coincidence that this is the fourth time this week that someone has had problems using that cable with VersaPro?
I loaned two Proficy ME and they are running now the third has an OEM locked system.
I hope you can get there too.

Its the install of VersaPro....

1) delete VersaPro from the PC
2) right click on the install icon
3) choose check compatibility and install as XP

Works like a champ... if you do not do this it will still install on Windows 7 (32 and 64) but will not communicate to any (trust me) ANY CPU

I use it every day when testing the cables, thanks for the plug Russ

EDIT: ONE more thing.... the cheap *** China cables will NOT work with 90% of the CPU's but mine will thanks to Russ and Steve

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.

The com port was matched up on both sides of the equation.

When I received the cable it came with drivers and Versapro. I had a feeling that Win XP was the OS limit. That's what I get for leaving XP. The use of the "cheater cable" was a last resort that I found on this forum. Now I know where to get the right cable.

I will update this thread after I try the above solutions.

Thanks, but please allow me to fix your instructions here. (y)
Its the install of VersaPro....

1) delete VersaPro from the PC
[Edit]
2) install Proficy ME and go forward
[/edit] :cool:

Works like a champ... if you do not do this it will still install on Windows 7 (32 and 64) but will not communicate to any (trust me) ANY CPU

I use it every day when testing the cables, thanks for the plug Russ

EDIT: ONE more thing.... the cheap *** China cables will NOT work with 90% of the CPU's but mine will thanks to Russ and Steve

Thanks, but please allow me to fix your instructions here. (y)

I wish it was that easy... I still have customers asking about using LM90 with a USB/SNP cable, I was able to get VersaPro to work but thats as far as I can go 🍻

Well.....after reloading Versapro on a XP computer and connecting the cable to the 90-30. Still no communication. Right now we are looking to get Poficy ME and a verified cable. The GE people we spoke with gave us a number to call and all we got was voice mail. Guess we try tomorrow. Again thank you for your guidance.

A long shot, but how old is the CPU? The earliest firmware versions may have problems communicating with anything but Logicmaster. The suffix letter on the CPU corresponds to the firmware level. For example, IC693CPU331* where * is a one or two-letter suffix.

A long shot, but how old is the CPU? The earliest firmware versions may have problems communicating with anything but Logicmaster. The suffix letter on the CPU corresponds to the firmware level. For example, IC693CPU331* where * is a one or two-letter suffix.
Good point and on the up side here PME is compatible farther back than VersaPro. Even a few CPU's needed later versions of LM90.
Get GFK-1068 for a nearly complete matrix of 90-30 hardware versions and compatibility.
PME goes back to approximately 1997-98 time frame.
CPU331-P, CPU311L, etc. This table is from PME and was posted here in the past.

PME-Supported.jpg

PM me your mailing address and I can send you a cable... if it works you can buy it, they are not very much, if not send it back

http://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-snp-usb-plc-programming-cable-90-30-90-70-usb/

If you need overnight you will need to pay for the shipping, I can ship tomorrow

That is generous, but he said that he made a "Cheater" cable from this site. I have used my 'cheater' SNP cable since the mid 1990's without fail on nearly all 15 pin D-shell SNP ports GE has made. If made to specifications it WILL work.
Mine is made from an old coiled style telephone handset cable and stretches to about 2 meters so takes up little space and is very light weight.

Last edited:
I wish it was that easy... I still have customers asking about using LM90 with a USB/SNP cable, I was able to get VersaPro to work but thats as far as I can go 🍻
So do I.
I sell them an upgrade to the hardware if needed, a cable and give them a Demo DVD of the latest PME. I may need to spend a few minutes with them on the phone getting them started too. (y)
If they like it they buy the software too, if not at least we have another happy customer with the immediate problem fixed. I've done this dozens of times over the last 5 years.
🍻