Wireless PLC solutions?

PLCmidlevel

Hi everyone, thank you for your assistance in previous posts hopefully we can find a reasonable solution for this as well.

I'm using a Micrologix 1400 controller which has a Ethernet port and a serial port and am trying to find the most economical solution to connect to my laptops WiFi. The range is very flexible at the moment think 100 ft maximum, I have found a number of long range solutions with fairly steep price tags I'm just not convinced that 1200 USD is the only route that is available.

Thank you in advance for your efforts, they are much appreciated

I must not understand the question, because any $59.00 - $89.00 ethernet router with WiFi would allow your laptop to connect to the PLC, and probably be able to connect at the 300 foot range.

As far as making it just *work*, any wifi antenna will do the job for you. Just drop into your local electronics shop, grab a $30 NetGear something, plug it into the same switch as the ML1400 (or directly into the ethernet port if you don't use a switch) and you're away.

As far as making a good, industrial-grade job of it, you'd be best off looking for a proper industrial-type wi-fi antenna (and definitely using a switch). I've used UniFi AP's with very good results.

OK thanks guys,

I was thinking that it was a simple solution, the computer store was telling me that a regular ethernet router wouldn't allow the data transfer to load the micrologix. Then the industrial component was the over priced piece, I'll take a look at the UniFi AP's and see what they have to offer as well.

Appreciate the words of wisdom as always, thank you!

One thing to watch out for:

You probably want to ensure that you can set the Access Point that you buy in "bridge mode", or something like that.

The typical use for a wireless router is to have the internet on one side, and your home network on the other. They typically combine a firewall with NAT routing. The two sides have different IP address ranges, and only certain traffic is allowed through.

You want the same IP address range on both sides, and to be sure all traffic can go through. Any wifi router you buy at the store can PROBABLY do that, you just need to be sure you set it up right.

Most router manufactures provide the manual online, this will allow you to read, study, select, the correct one for your needs before you purchase.

I have a Belkin router set up as an access point connected to a switch going to a Yaskawa PLC and asscociated touch panels for a production line. I am able from my work desk to access the PLC and all my HMI's on the same LAN. As the production line is quite long, I can roll my laptop around on a cart and monitor and make changes at any point along the line. Works great!

I have a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 wifi radios that I use to monitor/program a compactlogix in an outbuilding. These are easy to set up and at $89 apiece, can't be beat.
www.ubnt.com

Your router will not need to be in bridge mode you set it up as you would at home like your desktop plugging into the LAN ports but instead plug your PLC into one of the LAN ports and don't bother using the WAN port which normally connects to your modem at home and provides the internet connection.

setup the WIFI and your laptop will connect to the router over wireless. if you have multiple Ethernet components like drives,HMI, etc. connected to a switch just plug a an open port from the cabinet switch to the LAN port of the wireless router and you can see all the devices over WIFI.

I have a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 wifi radios that I use to monitor/program a compactlogix in an outbuilding. These are easy to set up and at $89 apiece, can't be beat.
www.ubnt.com

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum... by the way,

Dear FluxCap,

I'd like to ask you about Schneider Electric PLC
I have the system in water treatment plant out of the city and there is Computer with SCADA software use Ethernet port to receive the data form PLC

My question is can I send the data from PLC board to another computer far 15 or 20 KM from the plant by using 2 Ubiquiti devices like NanoBride and make point to point connection between them, one installed in the plant receive the data from the PLC board and the other in builder far 20 KM receive the data and connect to another PC with SCADA software.

Kind Regards,

The person who told you that a “regular ethernet router wouldn’t allow the data transfer” was wrong and you don’t need a bridge depending on the WiFi device.
Having said that, if this is for an industrial application you want to stick with an industrial hardened device. It comes down to a “you get what you pay for” world. The biggest difference is that an industrial device is going to have components that meet higher quality standards and that will last longer. The typical consumer grade WiFi router is only designed to last 2 to 5 years where as an industrial modem should last 10 years (or more). Another issue is specs. The consumer device is going to have a transmitted power of somewhere around 20mW to 50mW where as an industrial WiFi modem will typically range anywhere from 100mW to 1W.