Scan unknown IP with Rslinx

Martindag

heya,

The PLC or HMI that i know the IP is prety easy to connect to them but im having hard time to find some PLC that i have no idea what their IP could be.

Is there a easy way to find them ?

Not that I know of.
I normally go online using a serial cable and then once online, find the ip address.
I guess you could try to use software such as wireshark.

try this
In RSlinx setup a new drive [ ETHERNET/IP DRIVER ]
It should find all AB PLC's on the same subnet
You can configure it to use a remote subnet

a word of caution ...

the Ethernet/IP driver will (or at least SHOULD) find all Allen-Bradley devices on the same subnet which are Ethernet/IP "COMPLIANT" ... that includes many of their newer devices ...

but ...

it does NOT include ALL Allen-Bradley devices ...

for specific examples:

(1) the 1756-ENBT module is a "newer" device which IS Ethernet/IP "compliant" ... so the Ethernet/IP driver stands a good chance of finding that one for you ...

(2) the 1756-ENET module is an "older" device which is NOT Ethernet/IP "compliant" ... so the Ethernet/IP driver won't find it ...

many Allen-Bradley drives are also NOT Ethernet/IP compliant ...

the crazy part of this is that the "IP" designator in Ethernet/IP does not stand for "Internet Protocol" like most people think that it does ... so ... something which has an IP address still might NOT be Ethernet/IP compliant ...

the best answer to the original question that I've found is Wireshark ... but I've been told that most IT departments won't let you use that on the networks that they maintain ...

the crazy part of this is that the "IP" designator in Ethernet/IP does not stand for "Internet Protocol" like most people think that it does ...

I believe it for "Industrial Protocol", but I'm not 100% sure.

For your question Martindag, my bet would be to use the usb/serial port of the device and check the Ethernet configuration.

ahh didn't know there was some scanning software for this, im going to give them a try. Also i will remember to connect via USB when possible to atleast see my ethernet config.

The guy before me was too lazy to write down on the IP adress sticker they put on the component the actual adress most of the time...

Thanks for all the great feedback, very useful.

Use nmap to run a ping scan or a port scan.

Or do an arp /Broadcast

If your subnet is 10.10.50.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for example then ping the broadcast address which would be 10.10.50.255 for this example (.255 is the broadcast address) depending on a couple factors you may get a request timed out all 4 times but that's ok.

Then do a command of arp -a and you will get a list of all active nodes on your network with their IP Address and their Physical address also and if it's a static or dynamic address but a reservation will still show as dynamic even though the device always gets the same IP address.

Last edited: