Encoder to 4-20 mA

Hi All

H
Hello All,

I have a PLC with analog input and output modules (4 - 20mA). i like to make a demo to practice PID control. It is a DC motor speed control demo (small DC motor). My DC motor has a Encoder with 150 pules per round ouput. So, how can i change this pulse output to 4-20 mA ?,so that i can feed 4-20ma signal into PLC input module as feedback.

Could you please help me where i can find the diagram circuit of this ? i'd to make it by myself, for cheap.

Thanks

To answer your initial question, REd Lion, M-Systems, and many others have signal conditioners that will convert the pulse to a 4-20 mA signal. You have to make sure that your encoder pulse frequency, voltage, and signal type (NPN PNP or whatever) are compatible. I suggest you have the encoder specs and wiring diagrams ready, and get application assistance from a local supplier for one of these companies.

I have worked with devices like that Tom is reffering to, and man what a life saver. In the "Frequency to Analog" converter as I believe they are reffered to as in this case, you have variable settings to establish the incoming frequency in relation to the 4 - 20 mA signal. The ones I used were performing a scaling function of x counts per second = y mA. Extremely handy units to use, I had actually used them in a direct loop with AB Powerflex drive for flow, and worked great, response time was variable in the setup software for the scaling values, which allowed me an error of 0.01% on a 450 g/sec flow rate, which was awesome considering how simple the circuit was.