PowerFlex 4 Question

dternosky

Hello everyone,

First time poster long time follower. I have a quick question that i wanted to throw out to you guys. I am pretty sure i know the answer already but here it goes. I am looking to program my PowerFlex 4 Drives from CCW and as far as i can tell i need to buy the AB 1203-USB to make that possible. My question to you all is, Do i need to purchase that converter or are there other ways to do this?

any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I believe some of the other posters on this forum sell 3rd party adapters for some of the AB cables for alot less than the AB one, but not sure if they sell a 3rd party cable for powerflex drives.

The only other option is to install a 22-COMM-E on the drive and use ethernet, but will be more costly and less portable if you don't need ethernet connectivity on the drive for anything else. Another thing you may want to do is look into purchasing Powerflex 525 drives in the future. They are comparible in price, offer better performance, and come with embedded ethernet.

Thanks for the quick response Hilliana! Yes the 525 is a nice drive and we already started purchasing these and that is all we are purchasing going forward. just have a lot of 4's still in the plant and wanted a way to quickly program them up.

We have a lot of these. Yes it is pricey, but the cable is worth it. You can't use a 22-comm-e on a PF4 but you can on 40's.

I actually only learned to do this exact thing last week so I could do an Eth/IP speed reference. GL.

dternosky said:
...as far as i can tell i need to buy the AB 1203-USB to make that possible. My question to you all is, Do i need to purchase that converter or are there other ways to do this?...

There is also the older 9-pin Serial to DSI Converter 22-SCM-232 which does the PowerFlex 4 Class (4, 40, 400) and 520 Class (523, 525, not 527) drives.

The 1203-USB Converter is the go to option for most users that have to deal with all drives, including the PowerFlex 7 Class, and for those that do not have a native 9-pin Serial port on their workstations.

It is true to say that the PowerFlex 4 drives do not support the 22-COMM-E Ethernet adapters directly. However, they can be controlled by an adapter attached to a PowerFlex 40 where the PowerFlex 4 is linked to the PowerFlex 40 through its DSI port in a multi-drive configuration.

Regards,
George