Rockwell Automation on the move

mcdillon86

Hi, my employer is sending me to the on the move seminar/training event they are having on June 29 and 30th, does anyone have any experience with these events and recommendations for this.

Thanks In advance

We get those occasionally from our Rockwell Rep. Never been to one tho.

I mean, how many kids you want to run into with a sinus issue?

Get in those big places...

Before the "RAOTM" was organized, we used to do this sort of thing will an event we called Spring Training, with a baseball theme. We borrowed so many demos and Automation Fair booklets that eventually they funded the formal events, with their own hardware and presentations and agendas, and made them into miniature Automation Fair style events.

I enjoyed the heck out of working these events. I got to work with the newest hardware, spend some time with the factory guys who I was usually just haranguing on the phone, and sit down for lunch with people who I usually didn't see without hard-hats and safety glasses.

These are sponsored by the Sales department, so don't be surprised when some of the events are not much more than a PowerPoint presentation, and when the hands-on sessions sometimes just walk you through a basic function of the product. These aren't meant to substitute for real classroom training.

Bring a fresh stack of business cards. Part of the benefit to rubbing elbows with people from other industries (and sometimes competitors) is that it's a big world but a small industry.

Definitely worth it. A couple jobs ago, they were able to send a couple of us to the RAOTM events, which were usually 2-3 hours away, versus maybe sending one person to Automation Fair. We always had a valuable experience with the presentations and show floor.

if your new to the field they are good. If you have been doing this for 30+ years like I have they are a waste of time.

if your new to the field they are good. If you have been doing this for 30+ years like I have they are a waste of time.

I can’t agree with that. The RAOTM is an excellent place to show new products both from Rockwell and Encompass partners. They also have a more region specific audience as well as potential customers that only go to Automation Fair if it’s local to them.

I can’t agree with that. The RAOTM is an excellent place to show new products both from Rockwell and Encompass partners. They also have a more region specific audience as well as potential customers that only go to Automation Fair if it’s local to them.

I would normally agree, but we happen to have a great AB rep that keeps us informed of the latest products the old fashion way, he stops by and talks with us. The last show I went to didn't do much for us, had already seen or used everything.

I would normally agree, but we happen to have a great AB rep that keeps us informed of the latest products the old fashion way, he stops by and talks with us. The last show I went to didn't do much for us, had already seen or used everything.

For you that may be the case (however I think I could make an argument that the AB rep isn’t going to be well versed on Encompass Partner’s product) but as a general statement I don’t agree. There are a lot of end users out there that aren’t on the distributors or Rockwell’s radar.

Definitely go, the exposure you get to both products and people (vendors) is invaluable, especially if you are relatively new to the industry. But also if you have lots of experience but have recently been moved up the ladder with more purchasing, design, specification authority.

I went beginning of last year in Charlotte on of course the coldest day of the year. See if your distributor is setting up travel package. Mine booked the hotel rooms and provided dinner at a great restaurant on the first night. They also arranged travel on a bus but I drove as it gave me more flexibility in scheduling the classes/seminars. You would be amazed at the networking (people) that goes on that is beneficial to you.

Sign up for the seminars that cover products and subjects that are of use to you but be sure to allot plenty of time to browse the show floor. Before you go try to come up with at least 5 issues in your plant that need solutions. Look for booths that have products that may solve those issues and talk to the venders (get their business cards), and get as much literature as you can to take back to your job.

As Ken said the seminars are fairly generic, but you can get a peek at some of the newer stuff that is out. Try to go both days if you can swing it at all, like I said it can be more about the people you meet sometimes rather than the products you see.