AB ML1100 connected to GE quickpanel

Robfig80

Recently I had a steady fault light on my ML and a bunch of question marks on all the virtual buttons on my HMI. I spoke with programmer that did the start up on the equipment and both agreed that the steady light meant I had some sort of hardware failure on PLC. He sent me a new unit uploaded with supposed current program but when we replaced unit fault light was gone but question marks remain and unit is still off-line

Welcome to the Forum!

The most likely thing is the Communication Settings in the PLC.

How are you communicating to the PLC from the QuickPanel?

If it is Serial, you need to find out what Baud Rate, Stop Bits, and Parity etc that it expects, and set the PLC to match.

Stu....

Will I need the GE software for the HMI or willi be able to view settings without PC connection. Reason why I ask is because I do not have the software to connect to screen I only have the AB software. Is there free download or trial version I could perhaps use?

Also should the new unit with the supposed most recent program have carried over all those parameters as well?

Not necessarily, it usually asks you if you want to overwrite the Communications Channel Setting when you do a Download, and they may have said no.

Stu....

Will I need the GE software for the HMI or willi be able to view settings without PC connection. Reason why I ask is because I do not have the software to connect to screen I only have the AB software. Is there free download or trial version I could perhaps use?

I have never used a GE QuickPanel, so I am not familiar with them. You will have to download the Manual for it, and see if there is a Menu you can get into to see the settings. Most HMIs I have used have this function. You just have to figure out what the trick is.

Stu....

If you Download the Manual, or a supplemental Manual for the QuickPanel, it should tell you the Communications Setup to use with the ML1100, or possibly a SLC, which should be similar.

Stu....