OK to use generic batteries with SLC5/05?

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, we are due to replace some SLC5/05 batteries (more than 10). Our local AB dealer wants over $150 per battery. I can get compatible generic batteries (1747-BA compatible) from lots of places online for less than $20.

Has anyone experience with generic replacements and any thoughts or suggestions whether this is a good or bad idea?

Thank you!

I've done this before as routine maintenance in a factory where we replaced batteries every year whether or not they needed it. The plant ran 24/7 so there was rarely a load on the batteries. I used generic batteries with the same specs for those PLC-5s and had no problems with them.

I would trust these (not the ones I used ten years ago):

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-slc-plc-battery-1747-ba-1769-ba-free-shipping/

But it is your decision to make. If there is a problem, how fast will you lose the few hundred dollars you might save? There are times when saving a few bucks is worth the risk and other times where it is better to be safe than sorry. For batteries that require the process to be stopped like a SLC CPU it might require more careful consideration. With the PLC-5, I could replace them without stopping anything so I tried a cheap brand for a year and it worked fine, so I quit using the expensive ones for our PM program.

Last edited:
Thanks for the plugs Mickey and Paul

ryangriggs, We have sold thousands of them... really, we are over 10k batteries sold, we are a distributor for Fedco http://www.energyplusbatteries.com/ they are made in the USA and work great. We also offer a money back if you ever have any issues

Happy 4th everyone !! 🍻

The trouble with SLCs is that you can't replace the batteries when the system is running. You need to remove the processor to replace the batteries.

Yes. Also save the connectors off of your old batteries. You can then solder them on the new batteries. You can do 20 or 30 batteries in a couple hours once you get set up and re-use the connectors like 5 or 6 times.

We get them for about 15-20 ea and if you are replacing them yearly then they should last plenty long enough.

I've always used a tabbed Li cell and reused the original connector. I use clear shrink-tubing for insulation.
As mentioned in the link above, I will order from Mark when my current stock is depleted.
My current cell-prep procedure probably costs close to the difference in price between the tabbed cell and git's offering.
And I will get a new connector.

Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
Great, thanks! I have ordered 11 batteries from PLCCable, and already have them in-hand. Thanks for the fast service!