Generic Ethernet/IP IO

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Do you have a recommendation for a low count IO system that you would stand behind for a remote site? It 1.5 hours drive time to the site.

I have a 2 tanks that have 4 floats each. Small simple system. Probably a CompactLogix for controls. I can use AB, bit 1734 Point adds up quick for 4 pooints of IO

I've been thinking about Turck IO blocks. Just figured I would see what else other guys are using.

I'd be using a 1769-L16ER-BB1B. 16 DI and 16 DO onboard, not much else required. If you're already thinking of doing CompactLogix, it seems the obvious choice

I need a PLC in the control room. The tanks are a few hundred feet away from the PLC thats why I was thinking Ethernet

Oh, right.

I mean "a few hundred feet" is pushing up against the limits of ethernet, and over that distance the cost difference between running a 12 core flex to a j-box, vs an ethernet cable to a RIO panel, is probably negligible - I'd still do the L16ER and use the onboard I/O personally.

But that's not the question you asked - personally I haven't dived much into the "small I/O count remote I/O" market, so I'm of limited help - but I do know that others have suggested using an Ethernet Click Koyo as remote I/O. I've got one of those on my balcony running a ridiculously over-engineered watering system and it's been there since 2017, without missing a beat.

I've used IO-link boards for similar, may need an ethernet switch out there to meet your distance. A similar alternative to Turck based on sensor type.

A “few hundred feet” of copper Ethernet is within reach if “few hundred feet” really means “less than one-hundred meters.” In other cases, a small switch with SFP interfaces for a fiber run will work.

Turck or AB ArmorBlocks are robust, provide lots of spare IO, and can be directly mounted without need for an enclosure.

Last edited: