Generic Ethernet Device setup

Drewster1123

I know, there's tons of resources out there on how to setup generic ethernet devices but I just cannot figure this out, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I have a test PLC(1756-L55) running revision 13.31 in a rack with 1756-ENBT /A ethernet card(rev 2.1) with a static IP of 192.168.1.243. Out of there, I have an ethernet cable going into a stratix 2000 8 port switch. I also have my PC with static IP 192.168.1.253 and a cognex camera running firmware 6.02.01, at IP address 192.168.1.25.

after adding the Camera to the RSlogix controller tree, i just get a status off "connecting" and "faulted" over and over. (comm format = DINT, input instance 13 size 125, output instance 22 size 124, configuration 1 size 0)

In wireshark I can see CIP I/O packets coming from 192.168.1.25(the camera) but the destination Address is 239.192.4.16. This is the part that is confusing me. where is this destination address coming from? I have been trying to setup an AL1326 IO link Master from IFM as a generic ethernet device but I'm getting similar results. Am i missing something obvious here? do I need to upgrade Revisions or is there a way to make this work? Thanks in advance!

Back in those days, you could not choose unicast for the generic ethernet device, so your 239.192.4.16 is a multi-cast address.

Most Cognex cameras that I have used, Ethernet I/P is off by default, so you have to turn it on in their software.

Back in those days, you could not choose unicast for the generic ethernet device, so your 239.192.4.16 is a multi-cast address.

Most Cognex cameras that I have used, Ethernet I/P is off by default, so you have to turn it on in their software.

I have setup the "industrial ethernet protocols" in the sensor network settings to be Ethernet/IP so that should be okay. I also noticed I am able to read the module info from the camera in the module properties dialog box. it can read the vendor code, product code, serial number and other information but the actual IO tags are not working.

This was similar to the AL1326, I was able to use explicit messages to read the vendor code with a "get single Attribute" service code but non of the IO tags were working

I probably could but I would just like to be able to figure this out. whatever is causing this not to work is going to be the same as the IOlink master. and for an upcoming project, i either need to use a generic ethernet device with the IO link master or upgrade the firmware on the L61S to version 20. I am going to try upgrading with a spare but if anything goes wring id like to know how to use the generic ethernet module.

If i set the size of input instance to 123, thats 492 bytes? same with the output instance. Do these need to match up perfectly? if i set the size to 1 lets say, would i just be reading the first 4 bytes?

I probably could but I would just like to be able to figure this out. whatever is causing this not to work is going to be the same as the IOlink master. and for an upcoming project, i either need to use a generic ethernet device with the IO link master or upgrade the firmware on the L61S to version 20. I am going to try upgrading with a spare but if anything goes wring id like to know how to use the generic ethernet module.

If i set the size of input instance to 123, thats 492 bytes? same with the output instance. Do these need to match up perfectly? if i set the size to 1 lets say, would i just be reading the first 4 bytes?

According to the manual, both are 496 bytes (124 Dints). These instances dictate the size of the transactions and the size of the module arrays in the CLX. I'm not certain how critical anything would be smaller, but larger would cause an issue. Also, did you go through all the spreadsheet/pallette steps to set up the camera for the data transactions? I'm not too familiar with Cognex, only can tell you what I see in the manual I linked.