[Logix] resetting TOT total and oldtotal

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been using the TOT instruction for totalizing flows wherever I've not had flowmeters with totalizer pulses. It works great and I have it set up to reset each night at midnight to provide daily flows; I then use OldTotal to display "yesterday's flow".

One thing I can't quite figure out, though, is how you'd go about resetting both the Total and OldTotal values simultaneously. The client wants to be able to reset the flow totalizers with a button in the HMI. To reset the Total is easy I just one-shot the ProgResetReq input; but how would I go about resetting the OldTotal? The only thing I can think of is sending two pulses to ProgResetReq, but that may be a bit of a pain. I tried overwriting the OldTotal value but the TOT block repopulates the tag, so it won't be that easy. I'm going to mess with this a bit, but was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

Last edited:
XIC HMI_ResetTotals ONS BST OTE Total.ProgResetReq NXB OTE OldTotal.ProgResetReq BND

... ostensibly. You can break that across two rungs.

Last edited:
Hi JeremyM,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly you're suggesting, maybe because I'm not as familiar with the FBD TOT instruction. I don't see any reference to being able to reset the Total and OldTotal separately in the 1756-RM006 instruction reference manual so I'm not sure how this would work; also, the TOT instruction is in a function block diagram routine and the totalizer is a local parameter; how would I access it in a ladder logic rung?

Am I totally missing something here?

My mistake, I thought you had two TOTALIZERS at once.

Would something like this (or the equivalent ST logic) suffice?

Totalizer.PNG

My mistake, I thought you had two TOTALIZERS at once.

Would something like this (or the equivalent ST logic) suffice?

Totalizer.PNG

Indeed, just one totalizer. I can totally see your approach if you thought I had two.

As for your code example, that very well may work! Very clever with the second one shot. I'll give that a try. Thanks!!