College Kid

crowdju

Just a quick question as I have been searching this site now for about a week. I am working on what I have been told is the "dreadfull elevator program" lol \ Anyhow, I have learned there is some direction to assist in this program here. By all means I do not want the awnser just a direction to walk. I heard there was a simulation but I couldnt find it. Once I can relate myself enough to the plc to prog the elevator I would like to further my knoledge. I am currently in my 3rd week of an 11 week course. We have covered Timers and basic plc info. I am programming using RSLink or something like thison the pc. Can anyone give me some insight as to were I may be more sucessfull in my searches ? Thanks alot

- PLC Kid

You can test your logic with the simulator on this site:

http://thelearningpit.com/

A little extra info - RSLogix is an Allen Bradley PLC programming package. It is used to write and monitor the ladder logic itself. RSLinx is a communuications program that lets your PC exchange information with RSLogix and other programs over a communications link.

crowdju said:
Once I can relate myself enough to the plc to prog the elevator I would like to further my knoledge.
Can you explain to us how your class is being managed? Based on the way you phrased your question, I'd say your instructor is putting the cart before the horse. You (and the rest of the class) should really know what a PLC is before you attempt to program it. Since you're asking about simulation software, I'll bet you haven't had access to one in "the lab" yet.

Did your teacher tell you all about contacts and timers without ever even holding up a PLC for the class to see? It sounds like the directions for this assignment were as follows:

1) Program a PLC to control an elevator
2) Go to PLCs.net for help, because I will be on vaction for a week.

I'm not trying to slam you! You've been very polite, and we like that here. I'm actually questioning your instructor's methods.

AK

Instructor

We are working off of a SLC 5/02 A-B PLC in the lab. We have went through configuring the controller as well as working with the processor adding programs and running them. We have covered some timers and things however my teach is a bit out of touch with new technology and well not very well on a pc. As far as the PLC goes he knows good at what he is doing as long as its with the controller however we are working with the pc now and we have a "capstone" or final project due at week 11 end so I start early. I understand basic programming which is why I took such a leap of faith into this forum posting what I did. We are working with RSLogic which I believe I have become fairly comfortable with. However, I believe you can sit in a room for days and nights, however untill you find the ambition to learn yourself its not going to stick as well.

However, I believe you can sit in a room for days and nights, however untill you find the ambition to learn yourself its not going to stick as well.

This can't be a real student. The typical attitude seems to be 'spoon feed me information which I'll give back on a test having learned nothing, then give me a diploma'. Unfortunately this person (I still don't believe he(?) is a student) is going to be the top person in the heap very quickly with that sort of attitude. Look out world.

my kinda student.

crowdju

Ok so you seem like you really want to learn something. If so, you'll get lots of positive responses. I'll be glad to help you with the elevator, but I'd like to see the code as your going along. Since I dont have RSlogix, I'll request that you also post a pdf of your code. You can print to PDF995 just like printing to a regular printer. Check this link http://www.pdf995.com/download.html Just do the print and attach it to your post. Be aware that I'm not going to write code for you, just provide pointers.

So step 1 is to go and look at an actual elevator and take notes of the buttons in the car and hall etc.. Make out a I/O chart and assign inputs and outputs.

Regards, Mike.

Real student I am, 19 yrs old, and yes male, dropped out of high school to start college. I am not a very attentive person in a classroom so I take my aim in sitting down reading an trying to help myself learn what I can to make the classroom easier for me. As far as spoon feeding , I have not been spoonfed at all, if I would say so myself, I have picked the spoon up on my own and learned how to eat. I believe your conception of my appearance is dillusional. I am not hear for a handout, not that kinda person. I also didnt pay the ridiculous amount of money for school to copy an paste info from others. I appreciate the info I have gotten from others and I believe once I am able to sit down and go over it all that I will have a better since where to start. I mean come on, I am taking the time because I "want to learn" the material, not because I have too. I could have simply took a copy of a lame prog of the net an altered it some then told old teach look here but what do I get out of that. Thanks

- PLC Kid

elevmike,

Thanks alot for the support as I come closer to writing the code I can certainly add it to my post for you. I appreciate your help with direction an encouragment. ;p

Re: Instructor

crowdju said:
we have a "capstone" or final project due at week 11 end so I start early.

There's nothing wrong with that attitude!

I suggest you do as Mike said, observe an elevator. For example: if the elevator is on the second floor going up to the fourth floor, does it turn around and come get me on the first floor right away (assuming I actually pushed the button, of course)?

Start with a flow chart or logic diagram, whatever helps you get organized. The first thing you should notice is that you can divide the logic into several small, but VERY similar pieces. If you break the project into the right pieces, it'll be a breeze! If you choose the wrong pieces, the semester isn't going to be very pleasant. Don't worry though, there are several right answers!

AK

You mean...we have a student post here and I'm not gonna get to see a flame-fest?!?

How disappointing. :D

I wish I had half that attitude when I was in school.

Lets face it...

High school is a repeat of grades 5-8 , They put us, the younger generation, in school to try to keep us from doing stupid things that we shouldnt be doing throughout the day. I enrolled in college in Dec 02 , grad Dec this year with associates. Most of my friends are just starting or into thier 6mnth - 1yr time.