Not really Q&A, but I wanted to show off some of my old college projects you may like

TL140

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not really Q&A, but I wanted to show off some of my old college projects you may like

Here is a 4 axis, chain driven robot built with fischertechniks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ibWBITB1XSZ2o3TEFlb1VWY0k/view?usp=sharing

Built this while working on my Mechatronics degree. I used motors with encoders on them to track the position of them. Then basically replicated the values in a step sequence. By the deadline, I was in the process of having a "teach" button where it would record the positions and push them into a .CSV file so i could call them any time I'd like. Never had a chance to finish it though. Wiring is a mess, I know!

Also, here is a 4 piece sorting system.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ibWBITB1XSSndPSUFPejhpSE0

Worked on this when I started General Engineering Technology. It used a photoresistor and a phototransistor to determine color, and if the object was big or small. It then went on a track and was pushed out by some pneumatic cylinders depending on what it was at what station. (sorry for bad quality and shortness)

I had some other videos that I cant find at the moment. I had one of a cam controlled ball roller. Something fairly simple done with a CLICK PLC.

When I got out into the real world, being a tech, it amazing how everything (in essence) is the same. As long as you know the basics, a lot of systems will feel similar.

^Cool stuff.

It's been some years now, so the information is all archived, but we had Mechatronics Team Projects, and a final year thesis. The first was a classic Ball & Beam control system, the second was the Robo Mouse maze-solving project, and my thesis was to make and program a custom controller (24V DC 12I/12O PICAXE based) for a small R&D job my company was testing.

I Believe that second one has now evolved into something quite impressive in terms of high-speed maze solving challenges, and I have to say that my thesis gave me a better understanding of controller hardware.

I have to say that my thesis gave me a better understanding of controller hardware.

Hardware in general has always been my obstacle. Controller hardware even more. The curriculum was more for industrial focus and I never had the chance to dive deeper into solid state. Maybe had one class on it.

The mechanical system, I'm pretty proud of. For the vacuum cup, i actually used a cylinder with the cup attached to one port and the other port open. I then attached the cylinder rod to a coupling and attached that to a linear gearbox and a motor with 2 limit switches for home and VacOn. that piece is the thing you see being dragged when the robot turns on axis 1.