RSView32 DH+ to FTViewSE questions

steveb55

Greetings fellow control freaks... :geek:

I have two questions, but first, here's the setup.

I'm converting an RSView32 DH+ PV to a new FTView Studio SE HMI app on 64-bit Windows Pro. There are two SLC 5/04's (1747-L543 64k) that are blue hose'd to, of course, the HMI and also a 1756-DHRIO on a Logix5570 processor (1756-L72). The SLC's seem to have adequate memory, but they have 17 large program files, 81 data tables, and a bunch of MSG instructions talking to other CLX processors. There are 2 SLC's with 5 RIO's and 2 Flex I/O's, and 6 CLX processors which are all chatting back and forth. The other SLC's program is slightly smaller, but most of the HMI bits are in the big one.

Ok... Question 1: The SLC CPU's are already peaking at times with all the overhead and programs. I need to read/write about 1200 tags (controls and alarms) between the SLC's and CLX processor to be able to set up the SE HMI to emulate the old DH+ HMI. Question: Will the SLC's have the horsepower to handle the load and service the overhead? I think I already know the answer... which is why there is question #2.

Question 2: The other option I'm contemplating is using the RSLinx Remote OPC Server in FTViewSE and setting up a topic in RSLinx. I am not very familiar with this option, so please forgive me. I understand that I need either RSLinx Classic OEM or RSLinx Classic Gateway (because Lite no like OPC). However, Rockwell's doc's state that Gateway is the only one to support 64-bit systems. Question: Is this true? I know their doc's can sometimes be, er, less than accurate or contradicting, ergo, the question.

And one last request. Is there any good step-by-step reference materials you can point me toward for using the OPC method? I know that's 3 questions, but who would read this if there were 3 questions? Or, if any guru's know of a better method... please help a fella out. Note: replacing the SLC's with 5/05 not an option.

As you were...
Steve