Correct terminal block usage

11point

Hello,

I purchased some Weidmuller ZQV 2.5 terminal block for a build that is in the design phase. As this is my first control system design/build i have a question on correct usage of terminal blocks.

In my system I plan for the plc to be sourcing for both inputs and outs. My plan was to use the terminal blocks to distribute the -24 DC to my outputs (a bank of relays) and to my inputs.

Currently my design has a -24 DC wire from a power supply going to a bank of terminal blocks which are jumped together with a jumper bar. The "top" terminals of the terminal blocks then distribute the -24 to the relays. This is where my question comes up. The "bottom" terminal of the terminal block bank is left empty. Is it proper to leave the bottom of the bank empty, or can i utilize these terminals to distribute the -24 DC to my inputs.

Thanks

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I cannot think of a reason why this should not be appropriate.
For relays, we usually daisy chain the negatives, but if you have got the space, terminals are a great way to do it.

That is the style of relay I am using, I was not aware there were jumpers available for them. That will be the rout I go.

Another question regarding this project. I have one motor that i need to turn on and off via the PLC. Motor is a 1PH 2HP 230V. I am trying to decided on a motor starter or contractor but am a bit confused. It is my understanding that if i go with the motor starter i do not need a breaker or fuse. But if i go with the contractor i would need to add a correctly sized breaker? Is this correct?