Fatek plc + encoders

Alex Zhukov

Hello!
I'm a student and i need help. My teacher gave me the task to make a stand with encoders where other students by spinning shafts of encoders will be able to see the number of pulses, the speed, direction of rotation, rotation angle.
I have already wrote a program for direction of rotation and rotation angle.
But i have problems with the rotation speed and number of pulses. So, my questions is:
1) Can i use 1 hardware counter for getting all parameters above or i should use hardware and software counters for each parameter separately?
2) How can i get the rotation speed? Should i use interruption? I've tried to use interruption to get speed and angle, but spedd data are insane and when you spin encoder fast the programm lose pulses and shows wrong angle
3) Can you help me with programm? :geek:

I have this hardware: PLC FATEK FBS-20MAR2-AC, HMI FATEK FT-056ST-T11, encoder SICK SFS60, encoder MITSUBISHI TAMAGAWA OSE 1024-3-15.
Encoders have 1024 pulses per turn.

Help me please!:geek:
p.s. sorry for my english and if it helps i can insert links to program and
video with data which i get

You want to post your ladder at the very least so we can take a look at it.

Are you using RS485 or Digital Inputs to get your counts? Looks like 4 of the digital inputs on this baby can go up to 10Khz. That should be fast enough for that encoder depending on rotation speed. Are you allowed to slow down the motor? Are you using the high-speed inputs?

There is a good chance that the HMI may not update fast enough to give real-time counts as well, depending on the communication interface.

Speed *should* be able to be calculated by using the counter data and saying each time you get 1024 counts that is a full rotation. Take the number of rotations you get in a given time frame and do the math to get your RPM. (Number of rotations in 5 seconds) * 12 = Actual RPM.

I've never done anything like that before, so I couldn't tell you for sure, but those are the ideas and thoughts that pop through my head.

As far as the angle, it would be something like (360/1024) = Number of Degrees of rotation per pulse. Scale the current encoder pulse number (0-1024) by 0 to 360 to get the actual angle of the shaft.

Last edited: