Getting Kicked Offline

PhillipA

I was trying to look at a SLC500 processor today. I went through RSLinx and configured my drivers successfully, then opened RSLogix, selected Go Online, Uploaded Processor and thought I was on my way. However for some reason it would go offline and give me a pop up that said Loss Of Communications, Go Offline or Retry. this would happen inadvertently while I was online. It did seem to happen a lot more if I was trying to do an online edit. But even while I was just watching the logic in the rung it would do this. I had another processor close by so I decided to try that one. In the 5 to 10 minutes that I was online with that one I never was kicked off. But there were a few times that the first processor would be ok for a while, even up to 20 minutes. I've seen this happen once in awhile before. But at one time it got to where as soon as I went online I would get kicked off. And sometimes it wouldn't even upload without having trouble. Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, or help?

How are you connecting to the SLC? Ethernet, RS232 using a USB adapter, DH+ using a U2DHP?

I've had this issue with USB from time to time.

OG

This is a common problem with SLC....

Try making these changes in RSLinx -> Communications -> Configure CIP Options....

RSLinx CIP.jpg

This is a common problem with SLC....

Try making these changes in RSLinx -> Communications -> Configure CIP Options....

either Lancie1 or OkiePC showed me this over a year ago. i was going share it but you beat me to it lol.

Not sure why it would be dropping out on rs232, are u using built in port or USB, VM or not

Are you using a laptop and a USB to Serial adapter/converter ??

Not all of the USB/Serial converters you can buy are rock solid, and some don't even work at all...

The one I use, recommended to me years ago (on here I believe) and I have had absolutely no troubles with it, is the Keyspan USA-19HS, available from loads of places, including eBay.... shop around, prices vary considerably,,

I also use the Keyspan and GITs adapters and I like them both. I am starting to like GITs better since the Keyspan has the USB cable that can come out if you're in a situation where you need to have it hanging.

If your SLC is extremely busy it can happen too, regardless of the USB-serial adapter. Is the program doing interrupts (STI, DII)?

Also, have a look at the Comms and Message Servicing selection bits S:33/5, S:33/6.

I am connecting with a USB to serial converter. It is a Trip-Lite. When I get a chance I will try another brand as was suggested.

I am connecting with a USB to serial converter. It is a Trip-Lite. When I get a chance I will try another brand as was suggested.

Tripp-Lite is the manufacture of the Keyspan, they do make others as well... if you are using a Keyspan USA-19HS then odds are its your PC, check to see what else you have running at the same time

If you are looking for a general USB to RS232 then see the link try this one http://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=plctalk&x=0&y=0

Thanks Paul and Dan for the kind words :)

Is there by any chance the ladder program sends data out the serial port such as with an AWT instruction? Although you would normally set the port to User mode before using these commands, they will still work with it set to System mode. If you happen to be online when the instruction sends data, it will force you offline.

I have never used one, I dont think its the same chipset as the HS19, they advertise the 19 as High Speed... one thing you may want to try so change the baud rate down (guessing) from 19200 to 9600, you will need to do this in the PLC and your RSLinx driver

Thanks. I'll try these things as soon as I get a chance. I'm in the middle of another project right now. If anyone has any other ideas send them my way.