Factory Talk View ME & Logix5000 tags

martcods

After creating a connection in FT View using linx enerprise to an offline "design" (local) .acd file to browse tags, how do I then connect to the online "runtime" (target) plc which has the same .acd file?

ADD a Shortcut within the Device Shortcuts left upper pane; Add the communications path to the CPU running said .acd file within the Design(Local) Tab of the right upper pane; APPLY the Design path to the previously created Shortcut; if your PC is networked within the configured Design(Local) topology you should be able to use the Online folder contents every time you call up the Linx Enterprise Tag Browser.

Thanks for the reply, I am having to set up the Panelview as a replacement for a currently running hmi (old Microinnovation unit) Customer will not let me browse the Control Logix PLC online and so I have set up the connection to browse tags from the .acd file. When I come to try the panelview in runtime, how do these offlene tags get associated with the plc?? Is it as simple as "Copy From Design To Runtime" in the communication setup?

It is that simple but a quick click of the verify will tell you if your paths are good, and if your offline tag file is visible. If the online shortcut path works, copy from design to runtime will work as well. Also, once the design connection is established the tag browser in FTV will be able to find anything. Be sure to refresh the tag browser though if you add any tags to the logic that you want to find in the tag browser after you have already have it open!

You will have to add the devices, HMI and PV in the communications tab of the explorer window as well before you will find any of it in the Communication setup.

Last edited:
That all seems fine but what I can't get my head around is this;
I am configuring the Panel View at my office so how do I verify the online path to the PLC?? or indeed any online path when my config pc is not connected to the same network as the PLC.

Thanks for the reply, I am having to set up the Panelview as a replacement for a currently running hmi (old Microinnovation unit) Customer will not let me browse the Control Logix PLC online and so I have set up the connection to browse tags from the .acd file. When I come to try the panelview in runtime, how do these offlene tags get associated with the plc?? Is it as simple as "Copy From Design To Runtime" in the communication setup?

The Linx Enterprise Tag Browser Offline folder contents do not "associate" with the eventually available Online folder; the two folders could be drastically different if the original .acd application copy (used for Offline development) had been edited after the time of the acquisition.
Be careful if using the "Copy From Design To Runtime" "feature"; the Runtime path is the communications path the FTVME application running on the HMI terminal is using to connect to the CPU controller; this might or MIGHT NOT be identical to the Design path which is the path the FTV Studio development software running on your PC is using to connect to said CPU; if the Runtime path is wrong, your HMI application will not be functional.
Just make sure that the Shortcut Name is APPLIED to BOTH the Design AND Runtime paths so browsing from either Offline or Online Linx Enterprise tag Browser folders will return identical results.

That all seems fine but what I can't get my head around is this;
I am configuring the Panel View at my office so how do I verify the online path to the PLC?? or indeed any online path when my config pc is not connected to the same network as the PLC.

Ask the customer for the existing HMI system network topology diagram (IP Adresses, switches, bridges, etc.) which implement the current communications between the terminal and the CPU controller; I am not familiar with the Microinnovation hardware, however, you might be able to extract the current comms path from its own development application.

The paths are obviously going to be different since the .acd file resides on my pc. What is the recommended way to develop/design a panelview offline to then implement it at a customers site?

Depends, if you are replacing an existing HMI/SCADA, I will ask the customer to provide the current comms info(or get it during a site visit).

If it is a new panel, You'll need to know the comms method(IP, ControlNet, DH+, etc) and the correct ip,node info. Then you can create the shortcuts based on that.

i know the IP address of the plc but how does this associate with my offline .acd file. What are the basic steps to configuring a panelview offline;
1. I have an old hmi and have drawn my screens etc.
2. I know the IP address of my PLC at customer site
3. I have the .acd file and can configure a direct connection to this to browse tags.
4. How do I then create a runtime config and have the tags that I have used from the offline .acd file be associated with the online plc?????

SIEMENS FOR ME I THINK

If you know the exact processor type and IP, you can manually create it on the offline tab.
After using the .ACD for deploying the tags, point the offline shortcut to the procesor you have created, the press the button Copy design to runtime.

Apart from that, after downloading the aplication to the panel, you can always edit the shortcut path in the terminal linx configuration...

You create your shortcuts in the Communications Setup -

Use the same name for the shortcut in both the design and runtime tabs.

On the runtime tab, If you are connecting to a PLC via Ethernet I/P, Just right click on the 'Ethernet, Ethernet' icon, Hit 'Add Device' and choose your PLC type or Ethernet Module type(get these from your offline PLC file). It will prompt for a name(this is just for your edification) and an address(the IP on the PLC that the HMI can talk to).
It should create a chassis under it, Add Device on this and choose your processor type.

Once you can see the device on the Runtime tab, Left click your shortcut name in the left panel, then left click the processor and hit apply(top left). Then hit verify.

(Looks like this - See picture)

Example.jpg

Last edited: