Installing RS Logix onto a laptop.

dannymcg

Hi.

I've just signed up for a plc course at my local college. I need to do labs at home so, I downloaded RS Logix Micro Starter Lite, RS Linx Lite & RS Logix Emulate 500. Is there a specific order for installation ? Thanks.

A lab question if I can please. (see attachment). For Assignment 1, I've created the 'Stop/Start with Timer' as shown on sheet 3.
For the ramp up & ramp down sequence, I need to add a 'counter up' and a 'counter down' block with the 'counter up' block energising the 'counter down' sequence and the 'counter down' re-starting the 'counter up'.
I also need a timer but not sure where.
Do I need a counter for the 3 cycles and use that to reset ?
Please accept my apologies for my ignorance. I inadvertently signed in to the 2nd part of a two part PLC course (with HMI to follow) and have paid good money so, I hope to stick with it.......

I don't think it matters what order those are installed. I've never installed the "Lite" versions, but RSLogix programming software usually installs RSLinx with it.

How much previous experience do you have programming logic for PLCs?

I think you have a decent grasp of what needs to happen, and just a matter of converting those ideas into the logic itself. You should only need one timer in RS500 to manage your counters. Typically have one integer that is counted up, and then when it is completed (Done) Count down that same integer.

I don't think it matters what order those are installed. I've never installed the "Lite" versions, but RSLogix programming software usually installs RSLinx with it.

How much previous experience do you have programming logic for PLCs?

I think you have a decent grasp of what needs to happen, and just a matter of converting those ideas into the logic itself. You should only need one timer in RS500 to manage your counters. Typically have one integer that is counted up, and then when it is completed (Done) Count down that same integer.

My PLC programming skills are very basic. I've done a few of the mixing tank fill/empty with high/low level switches, de-bounce, open/close valves, agitator etc. I'm okay with simple logic controls. I'm out of my depth with timers, counters etc. I have several PLC hard cover books which explain all internal relays individually, but nothing really that shows different relays strung together to do something similar or like the homework assignment.

I used a latch for my start control, a TON that keeps resetting every 1.5 seconds while start control is latched. An integer file that adds 10 to itself on every DN of the timer when the counter acc=0-2 OR 4 and subtracts 5 from itself when the counter acc=1-3 or 5
The counter increments through a one shot (not sure if thats needed) when the integer file = 100 or if counter acc is greater than or = to 1 and integer is =0 (this is for the first pass when counter =0) unlatch start control when counter =6

See logic in attached zip file..There are many ways to do this.. Add emulate driver in RSLinx , open attached rss file in RsLogix 500 and Emulate, Now you can go on line and simulate , N7:0 integer will display Value from 0-100 in increment by 10 and than 100 to 0 decremented by 20