Encoder recommendations

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

For an upcoming project I need to retrofit an encoder to a conveyor motor. I'm not doing any complicated positioning controls, it's just a case of accurately tracking belt speed for product reject purposes - the reject chute is located a way downstream of the product checker, so I need to be able to accurately determine where the faulty product is on the belt, and when it's about to reach the reject point. I'm looking for some recommendations or lessons of experience on the best approach.

The conveyor is being powered by a Powerflex 525, so the two options I'm toying with are:
842E Ethernet/IP Encoder
or
25-ENC-1 Incremental Encoder Input Module for the PowerFlex 525, and any old quadrature incremental encoder

I like the 842E for the fact that I just need to run power and ethernet to it, and I'm up and away. However, we're down to our last couple of ports on the managed switch in this panel, and I'd prefer to save the cost of a switch upgrade.

The PowerFlex 525 is already on Ethernet, so I'd just have to tweak my configuration and write some extra code, and I'd have my data with no extra network connections, so I'm leaning toward this idea a little more than the 842E. My only concern is that the drive is a little way away in a switchroom - the cable run would probably be a good 60-80 metres, and I'm not sure how far you can run an encoder cable before you start having issues. Does anyone have any experience with this?

If it were you, what would you do?

Last edited:
Aha, that's what I was after. I tried the 525 manual and the encoder manual and found nothing, can't believe I didn't think to look in the 755 manual! :confused:

Looks good - I'll just have to make sure I spec a 12V encoder and we should be good to go. Thanks!

You may check on [redacted] for a 12V encoder [link removed]. Their prices are quite competitive.
Luckily this problem was solved and put to bed four years ago, until our friend here decided to jump in with some advertising spam. Please stand by while the moderators charge up their EMP cannons...