barcode scanner with GE Fanuc 90-30

Dave Powers

Does anyone have experience connecting a barcode scanner to a GE Fanuc 90-30?
I need to be able to scan a barcode that contains a part number, then send this part number out to a laser marker with serial communication. I am looking at using a programmable coprocessor to input the barcode using one port, then send the information to the laser with the second port. Does this sound OK? We use modules like this in our plant, but I don't have much experience installing them.

Thanks,
Dave

The PCM will be the easiest option, especially if you're already familiar with programming in BASIC.

You can also configure the ports on a CPU351, CPU352, or CPU363 for Serial I/O and use COMREQ instructions in ladder logic to read the data from the barcode scanner and retransmit it to the marker.