24V pumps, motors etc.,

vs.rao

Hi friends,

Iam a Mechatronics technician and user of S7-200 Siemen's PLC.
Is there a place to buy 24V pumps, motors etc., so that I can connect to the PLC out puts directly.

Regards,

VS.Rao

There are plenty of places to buy 24V equipment , but you might find that 100kw 24VDC motors will be a bit much for the outputs .

Why don't you buy 24V coil relays or contactors and use those to switch "normal" voltage motors . Why do you have to use 24V gear ?

vs.rao
in all cases it's not recommended to conect the load directly to your plc output.you should use 24V coil interface relays to iso;ate your PLC output and hence protect it.

Fred Floggle said:
There are plenty of places to buy 24V equipment , but you might find that 100kw 24VDC motors will be a bit much for the outputs .

Why don't you buy 24V coil relays or contactors and use those to switch "normal" voltage motors . Why do you have to use 24V gear ?
I'm working in Mechatronics Laboratory of an Engineering College. I thought of using 24V DC loads, becasue students will be working in the labs and it is not safe to let them work with high voltage equipment.

Pl., let me know of your recommendations of 24V DC equipment suppliers.

I am assuming that you students are not junior school students-
With the greatest respect , 110V is not high voltage , and now is as good a time as any for your students to learn how to handle live equipment and potentially dangerous voltages before they are unleashed on the unsuspecting industry , leaving loose wires and taped up joints everywhere .
Now is the time for them to learn a healthy respect for Ohms and Aways and volts and things . Set up either an RCD setup or earthed CT transformer .

Thank you Mr.Fred.
May I ask what is RCD set up. Could u pl., throw some light on this set up.

VS.Rao

Technically you could obtain small 24vdc motors like those used in remote control cars and connect them direct to a relay output. Old printers etc may offer 5, 12 or 24vdc motors that could be salvaged

If your students will be expected to work with AC voltage then I would at least use standard supply voltage (120/220 1PH) and relays/contactors to simulate real world applications.

Safety procedures should also be emphasized in the classroom.

Just for the everyone's info, the standard Indian voltage was/is 220vac,50 htz...and the standard is to put the switches in the neutral side of the circuit...believe me, it will really rock you when you stand on damp ground in bare feet and touch the shell of a light bulb socket that is "switched" off!!!!!I can sort of agree with his plan to bring up the newbes on 24vDC...but then he really must let them have a taste( that good, mouth full of metal kind )of the real stuff...it's better to get it under 'controlled' conditions than when you are least expecting it!!!!

Good luck!!!!!

David

RPCV, India-100, 1970-1973 Panj Gran Kalan,Batinda Dist.,Punjab

I remember the labs at university, we used 415V 3phase, 240V single phase, and 220V DC for motor control. Good stuff.

I also found that half of our ammeters did not work and seemed to have some scorching around the back.

I also saw several cases of fellow students connecting an ammeter between two 415V phases. After that, the student would look around to see if the technician was about and, if not, would sneak into the store room and swap the ammeter for a good one.

These were good days.

Doug

I see nothing wrong with 24 volt motors.

There will probably be a good selection of 24 volt DC stuph at the Automation Show, including switcgead and 24 vdc transformers.

I think I will be looking for a high efficiency 24vdc three phase fractional hp drive.

regards.....casey

I'm pretty sure RCD stands for Residual Current Device. We know them as Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI or just GFI) here in the states.

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Anyone who has not smoked at least one multimeter by failing to move the lead from A to V before measuring volts is considered 'inexperienced' in my book... ;)

Last edited:
we use phoenix interface relays

we use phoenix interface relays.they are very small.and they are easy to replace. primair 24vdc and secundair they can be used for ac or dc up to 240 volt.Secundair they can start a motor control relay.