Control Logix training

TimeFluxCap

Hi all

I am doing the maintaining and troubleshooting a Control Logix system training next week. Anything I should try and learn now to maximise my training time/course?

If you've had no previous experience with A-B controllers then treat is like any other course; ask for clarification on anything that you don't understand and take plenty of notes. Use your own words in the notes rather than simple dictation, that way you've got a better chance if understanding them in 2 weeks time.

If you have used A-B before then understand than ControlLogix is very different in a number of ways; some things you'll be familiar with, others will seem either odd or simply wrong. Don't worry about it, accept the changes as just something else to learn.

Ask the instructor if you can bring some samples of your company's code to the class so that you get to see it for the first time when the pressure's off, not when it's "When're you going to have it fixed?" time.

OK, mate; here's a list of questions not to ask: lolis

Where are the data tables?
Where's the Custom Data Monitor?
Why are they called BOOLS and REALS?
Where are the data tables?
How do I find the next unused Timer?
Where's the graphical file compare tool?
Why would I ever want a 3-dimensional array?
Where did you say the data tables are again?
If I put two outputs in series do I have to use half-voltage coils?

Are you going to Rockwell for the course or a Third-party? Whichever it is remember not to be afraid to ask and ask again; it's too late when you're back on the line and under the cosh again.

Cheers.

Hi All.

Firstly, best of luck on the control logix. I'm currently coming to the end of 4 days training on control logix (Rockwell course)as we've a piece of kit coming in with it fitted, and to be honest, it's tricky getting your head round it!!!

I'm well used to A-B SLC500 and PLC 5 but this is a different animal.
How it works, if like me you use ladder logic, is similar but setting up using bools, dints, controller and program scoped tags etc are a bit mind numbing.(dont worry,these will be explained on your course)
Being able to communicate very quickly across the backplate is very cool though :), as is ease of networking chassis together and being able to have processor(s) in any slot(s) you want!!

All i can suggest is to keep asking questions when you get the course.
It does seem strange but it does start to sink in.Try not to compare it to SLC but bear in mind the knowledge you've got of this will start you off on the right foot.

I didn't really find much info to help me before i started this course (other than reading what other ppl on this site had experienced) but don't let that bother you too much.

Best of luck.

Bolty

Last edited:
The ControlLogix is just different and takes some getting used to. I do have applications that use 3 dimensional arrays. Don't get me wrong, I love the SLC-500 and I suffered through a ControlLogix programming project back in 1998 for a machine with 5,000 I/O using RSLogix version 1.00! Believe me it wasn't fun but everything looks better when you look back. Anyway the Logix platform is the future of AB.

I've just recently started learning the Logix5000 myself, when I first started to doodle with it I was quite overwhelmed and I'm still having quite a hard time with it. I would suggest converting some of your PLC5 code to Logix 5000, I gleaned quite a bit of knowledge by using this tool to set up landmarks from a program I was already familiar with.

I still haven't found the Data Tables yet.

The "data tables" are actually in the tag data base. You set up your tags in something simular to an excel spread sheet. At the bottom of the data base there are 2 tabs (monitor tags and edit tags). When you select monitor tags a new colum is added showing the values of your tags.
If you have structured your program efficiently this format actually works well.

i.e.
If you structure your timers like timers_alarms
then al of your timers are listed in a tree format.

Timers_alarms[0]
Timers_alarms[0].pre
Timers_alarms[0].acc
Timers_alarms[0].en
Timers_alarms[0].tt
Timers_alarms[0].dn

Timers_alarms[1]
Timers_alarms[1].pre
Timers_alarms[1].acc
Timers_alarms[1].en
Timers_alarms[1].tt
Timers_alarms[1].dn

Your data bases stay as organized as you make them and you can now sort them by many attributes its actually very flexible after you play with it a while and get used to it.

can you create new memory tags while the processor is running? I find the need to add some logic (to drive an InView display) to an existing application that's running out on the plant floor. Sho' don't wanna cause anything to stop!

ok, thanks for the info regarding tag creation. what about creating new programs? and their subsequent scheduleing under the MainTask?

There's very little that you can't do on-line in run mode. Some are:
  • edit a UDT (user-defined data type)
  • change or define an alias for an existing tag
  • change/edit selected axis parameters (although you can get around this with SSV's)
  • delete tags that are referenced in the program