Control Logix training

Ok guys day one of Control Logix training done and yes, there is data tables, they just dont look like the old ones. They actually look a lot like S7-300 type, have AB been sneaking around? :D

I like it so far, this is why! Just basic stuff here guys

I like how you use a null modem serial cable with no special plugs so you can make them yourself.

I like how you use a cross over ethernet cable so you can make them yourself.

I like how you can use your ethernet card on laptop, no need for expensive PCMK card.

I like the backup/restore wizard for setting up different drivers in RSLinx when you have every possible driver config on your plant and now they guys just have to select a pre configured setup. This has been around for awhile but I wasnt aware.

Love the speed of ethernet connection

Setting up a driver to the new Ethernet bridge is a breeze

I like the data table format for grouping all elements of a device into one area (if the programmer does this)

I dont like having to cal analogue input cards from factory, especially since I need a 10VDC generator, in oz we use 4-20ma everywhere. I have to buy a new device now.

The software revision number is a bit painful but bearable, glad Im doing the course before I get the Control Logix on site.

The IO card locking switches will have to be left in the unlock position for my guys at work!!! There is some strong of arm not of mind guys where I work so they wont last long on the nighshift.

Today was much of an overview, I will post more tomorrow

I like the backup/restore wizard for setting up different drivers in RSLinx when you have every possible driver config on your plant and now they guys just have to select a pre configured setup. This has been around for awhile but I wasnt aware

You're not alone in this, just about every time I show the backup/restore someone says "Wish I'd known about that". I also recommend saving the file to the desktop; it doesn't matter how clever you think you've been when you make the backup, 2 years from now, when you need it, you'll have forgotten where it is.

I think I see what you mean regarding analogue I/P cards but remember:

Some modules can be configured +/- 10V, 0-5V, 0-10V or 0-20mA; you choose (and the scaling option means that you can make it act as 4-20)

The module configuration is stored as part of the project, when you download you reconfigure the module.

Amen to the comment about the locking tabs, you should also see the number of CNB's that have been "modified" to have opening front panels!!

Hi NOP

Apparently you cannot do the calibration with 4-20ma, you can oly use 10VDC, even if you want to use it for 4-20. This is what I am lead to believe but will check with instructor again.

TimeFluxCap, sorry, wrong end of the stick; I thought it was the fact that it was a 0-20 rather than 4-20 that was causing the problem.

Yes, however the channel is configued you use a voltage signal for calibration.