Panel-mount digital indicator... with DeviceNet ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a project for which the specifying engineer has called out four panelmount 3 1/2 digit LED digital numeric indicators to be mounted on the control console to indicate a some flow and pressure values.

The specification calls out a regular old analog output module on an SLC-500 to drive these indicators. The model of indicator isn't specified, but I figured Red Lion, Newport, or Texmate.

The control system is mated to an MCC full of DeviceNet enabled motor starters and drives, so I was hoping I could eliminate the analog output modules and some of the digital I/O modules (pushbuttons and pilot lights) by continuing the DeviceNet out to the control console.

It'll be easy to handle the pushbuttons and pilot lights with compact I/O modules. But how to handle the 7-segment LED indicators ? My brief web searches haven't found a panelmount 7-segment LED indicator that can act as a DeviceNet slave. I've found larger indicators, and of course I've considered replacing all the indicators with a small PanelView, but nothing quite fits what the customer expects.

Anybody out there using such an device ?

C'mon guys, Ken goes out of his way to help answer a LOT of questions here, yet when HE asks a question, there are no replies?... :rolleyes:

I realize this may be because there isn't an answer to his question, but I'll reply if for no other reason than to push it back to the top of the list... :D

I myself no absolutely nothing about DeviceNet, so I can probably only offer suggestions you already know about...

RedLion has DeviceNet enabled panel meters, though they're probably overkill for your application. See HERE

The Open DeviceNet Vendors Association has an extensive listing of DeviceNet products organized by category

You might be stuck using a 4-channel analog output rack (that speaks DeviceNet) to drive the panel meters. With this method, you can use the same brand units they're already using.

Good luck!,

beerchug

-Eric

Until this year I hadnt dealt much with DeviceNet so cant help there and I assume you are aware of the 5 & 6 digit displays (PAX series) Red Lion has.

Ken I know you are aware that AB/Rockwell/Reliance sells items in Europe that arent always sold here. We have on one of our Italian built rewinders an AB display that has 3-3 1/2 digit displays, this is connected as an RIO device (not Devicenet). I will attempt to get more info if want when I return to work Monday.

If I can locate anything at work that may assist you I will post again.

I know the Red Lion units well; I actually helped test their DNet firmware a couple of years ago. The PAX meters are good analog input devices, then they can report their input data back over DeviceNet to a scanner as a floating point number.

Using those meters would mean that I would have to run my analog signals out to the control desk face, then back to the PLC (which is in the same enclosure) via DeviceNet. What I'm hoping to do instead is run just the DeviceNet cable and a 24 VDC power cable out to the door where the pushbuttons are located.

I'd hoped to run my analog signals directly into chassis-mounted input modules, then just run the indication over DeviceNet.

What I think I'll end up doing is mating an inexpensive 1790D output block to an indicator that accepts BCD or 2's Complement digital inputs. I went this route to avoid multiple scaling or analog links, so I'm trying to stay digital.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

So Red Lion didn't replace their A/D converter with a CAN chip, they just added DeviceNet communications capability to the existing product. Interesting concept though, using a DPM as an analog input device.

I guess the fact that Red Lion chose that approach is something of a commentary on the general lack of acceptance of DeviceNet or any of the other fieldbusses. If DeviceNet were more widely embraced, there would be a market for products such as you're looking for. I've often wondered why there isn't a DeviceNet power supply that is itself a node on the network so the scanner can have updates on power consumption, voltage level, and the general status of the network power.

Hello Ken,

did you find such a DeviceNet indicator?
I'm trying to design a system with an intelligent (DeviceNet) MCC and I'd like to show on the Control Panel some Soft Starters parameters without a AD/DA conversion.

You know, it turns out that the Red Lion device *does* do what I wanted. It's not terribly clear on the instruction sheet, but the PAX meter can be told to display an internal register, which can be outputted to the meter by a DeviceNet master.

I never built that panel, though, because the designer removed the requirement for panel mounted displays.

If I had this to do over again, I'd spend the money on a PanelView 300 or 550 with DeviceNet, because those can directly read Parameter Objects with explicit messaging, or can listen in on an I/O connection to a device like a drive, overload, or soft-start.

Now, I want to find one led panel with communication function(quick speed). I know AB Inview serial(P22R) have this function, but the communication card is RS232 to ETHERNET/DEVICENET/485, the speed is too slow, caused delayed data.
Anyone using this function? thanks a lot!!